reciever Qs

dishUser

Original poster
Apr 23, 2004
How do I know if my reciever is dead ? I have 2 Dish 500, one for the 110, 119 and the other for 61.5
Since yesterday, the reciever did not recognize any signal from either of the dishes. Both dishes are mounted on the deck and they look pretty sturdy.
I wanted to know if there is a way to confirm if my reciever isn't working.

Go to the setup screen and run a check switch test.

If you are not getting any signal, reboot your receiver by holding down the power button for 6 or 7 seconds.

You can also check the cable to see if it hase voltage coming out of the receiver to power the LNB usually if you loose signal it could be cable, the lnb, the ground bloc. or the receiver so basically it could be any one of those things. I would take the LNB off at the dish and check to see if there is any voltage coming out of the receiver. If it doesnt you can get you a short cable and put it into the sat in on the back of the receiver and test to see if you got voltage. Now I no you might not have a voltage meter but you can pick up a voltage tester(all they do is light up if voltage is present when you touch the cable wire) for arund 10 bucks at lowes or home depot probably wal-mart too and you can check it with that.

dishUser said:
How do I know if my reciever is dead ? I have 2 Dish 500, one for the 110, 119 and the other for 61.5
Since yesterday, the reciever did not recognize any signal from either of the dishes. Both dishes are mounted on the deck and they look pretty sturdy.
I wanted to know if there is a way to confirm if my reciever isn't working.
Sounds more like a bad switch. What kind os switch(es) do you have?

Try hooking a receiver directly to one dish only and see if it works. Unscrew from the input on the switch and plug into the input on the receiver.