Reciever that is OTA capable?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

thbjr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 2, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Is there any thing in the DirecTV reciever pipeline that will allow OTA hook up into the reciever (I know about the adapter for the DRV reciever, but am not interested in a DVR)?
Thanks in advance.
Tom

You may well be correct, but a CSR at D* recently told me that the AM21 would only work with the HR21, not the H21. I am familiar with the H20 model, but was told it is being phased out and would be exteemly unlikely to get the 3 of them I would need for my home. The H20 also tries continuesly to call home and can't with my VOiP system since it has no option to as a *9 to the dialing sequence (like my E* VIP211 receiver does), so I really don't want that model anyway.
Can someone absolutly confirm that the H21 and newer non-DVR models can indeed use the AM21 OTA adapter?

You may well be correct, but a CSR at D* recently told me that the AM21 would only work with the HR21, not the H21. I am familiar with the H20 model, but was told it is being phased out and would be exteemly unlikely to get the 3 of them I would need for my home. The H20 also tries continuesly to call home and can't with my VOiP system since it has no option to as a *9 to the dialing sequence (like my E* VIP211 receiver does), so I really don't want that model anyway.
Can someone absolutly confirm that the H21 and newer non-DVR models can indeed use the AM21 OTA adapter?

Yes, the AM21 works with the H/HR21 and up, like JD mentioned.

Why do you need to worry about the H/HR 20's calling home ?
D* doesn't charge you if you don't have it hooked to a phone line, btw, if you hook it to the internet, via SWM or any other way, it will call home on it's own.
The H20's don't have ethernet to connect to, but the HR20's do. IIRC.

Yes, the AM21 works with the H/HR21 and up, like JD mentioned.

Why do you need to worry about the H/HR 20's calling home ?
D* doesn't charge you if you don't have it hooked to a phone line, btw, if you hook it to the internet, via SWM or any other way, it will call home on it's own.
The H20's don't have ethernet to connect to, but the HR20's do. IIRC.

I want the caller ID function. Will I be able to use the caller ID and connect by cat5 to avoid it trying some 48+ times a day to connect to D*, like the H20 did, with model H21 or newer?

Will I be able to use the caller ID and connect by cat5 to avoid it trying some 48+ times a day to connect to D*, like the H20 did, with model H21 or newer?

It sounds like you just had a bad H20, & there was one manufacturer in that model line that had MAJOR overheating problems - so much so, that D* pretty much did wholesale replacements of that particular model.

Bottom line - after the H/HR20 units were discontinued, they have NO longer made ANY receivers w/the OTA tuner built in, as they really never wanted to support it to begin with - & will NOT be making any in the future. You want OTA with any receivers besides the 2 models mentioned, you're gonna need the AM21, period. And yes, it works on ALL H/HR & R22 models.

And frankly, to tell you the truth - IMHO, I wouldn't be the least surprised if in the future, they discontinue the AM21's at that, so you gotta have integrated OTA, I'd be getting one now... ;) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Aljazeera feeds

r22-200...switching from swm slimline setup to standard 18" dish

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)