Recommendation for FTA receiver?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

captain_ed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 1, 2011
Pennsylvania
I finally got my ancient 10 foot dish working with my 4dtv, although I only get a signal on a few channels, and I cannot get an Eb/No greater than +6.5. I think I still have some more antenna tweaking to do. But, at least I think the antenna is serviceable. I had to retire the Corotor because it was damaged, but I think I may buy a new one so as to get both C and Ku band, although I am mostly interested in C band. But, since 4dtv programming is now dead, it is time to pick up a FTA receiver. I want something that is relatively easy to use, and that offers the most flexibility. I definitely want HD, and I would like something that will work with MPEG-4, since that seems to be the up-and-coming standard. I also want something that can be used to control my antenna. (I know I could control it with the 4dtv, but I am trying to keep things as simple as possible, and it seems that there are only a few channels, like W1-400, available on the 4dtv now.

Some of the units that I have seen talked about that look interesting are the Coolsat 8000 HD, the Diamond 9000 HD PVR, Viewsat 9000, Dreambox 800 HD PVR, Visionsat IV-200 PVR Plus, AZBox Ultra, AZBox Elite, and Openbox S9 HD PVR. I know there are dozens of others. I also prefer a PVR format unit, although I have a couple of DVRs, including an HD dvr, so that is not essential, as long as the unit has composite output (which is required by my HD DVR).

Any suggestions on which are good and which to avoid? I don't need OTA, since I already have two OTA receivers.

just one opinion:

... I had to retire the Corotor because it was damaged, but I think I may buy a new one so as to get both C and Ku band, although I am mostly interested in C band.
..it is time to pick up a FTA receiver...
I also want something that can be used to control my antenna. (I know I could control it with the 4dtv,
The market has moved on, and servo-control is not found in modern receivers.
... I definitely want HD, and I would like something that will work with MPEG-4, ...
Some of the units that I have seen talked about that look interesting are the Coolsat 8000 HD, the Diamond 9000 HD PVR, Viewsat 9000, Dreambox 800 HD PVR, Visionsat IV-200 PVR Plus, AZBox Ultra, AZBox Elite, and Openbox S9 HD PVR.
Well, there is nothing wrong with a used Coolsat 8000 or 8100 (within its limits)
And with any such receiver, the price would be right.

There are some which I wouldn't wish on an enemy, and those include the Diamond, Viewsat, and a few you didn't list.

The Visionsat IV-200 is a great receiver, but is out of production and doesn't do HD, S2, nor mpeg4 (I have several)

We have a forum department dedicated to the AZbox models and I refer you there for details.
It will do 4:2:2, but as with most, is not perfect.

The Openbox/Sathawk/Solomend won't do 4:2:2, but seems to be pretty good value for the money.
It has been getting upgrades all this last year, and is emerging as quite the prize.
I also prefer a PVR format unit, although I have a couple of DVRs, including an HD dvr, so that is not essential, as long as the unit has composite output (which is required by my HD DVR).
PVR-ing is not 100% on these units. Some have odd quirks, or fail at high bit rate programming.
Read up to see if your chosen channels will be affected , or if it matters to you.

I hope that composite comment was a typo. Component, maybe?

ok. here goes. first off 4dtv is not dead. mosey on over to the 4dtv section here and read abit about the current situation.

im not a fan of c and ku on a BUD so ill reccomend a wsi dmx242 replacement for your corotor. if you want ku add a 1m dish and you will save alot of f words. haha. if your cheap go with an openbox s9. it has the most useful s2 blindscan and does the majority of hd. if you can spare time for scanning then go with an azbox ultra/premium+ to get the 4:2:2. you may find an elite used for cheap enuff to still buy the openbox to scan. the cs 8k series will give you more grief than is needed if your antennas ever get complicated but it does ota if needed. the only other reciever id offer as an option would be the pansat 9200 with the s2+ addon board. the others youve listed are limited in what they do and 50 bucks is all you should pay for one.

pvr really refers to basically recording live tv and scheduling a recording. nothing does this totally correct so i cant comment on what to get as i have about 12 tuners to accomplish the best pvr like situation. its expensive and not for everyone.

crackt out,.

Yes, composite was a typo. I meant component.
As for feeds, what is a recommended feed for C and Ku band? I would prefer 1 that does both, but I do have an ancient 6 foot dish that I could use for Ku band. The problem is the assembly to hold the feed got broken, so I would have to fabricate something. But, it is a high quality, solid fiberglass dish, so it would probably be better for Ku band than my 10 foot Winegard. The only problem I have with the feed, and this may be why I can't get a Eb/No greater than about +6.5 on my current 10 foot dish and feed is that the F/d ratio is 0.28. Most feeds are designed for higher F/d ratios. Do the new style feeds work with a 4dtv receiver?
I notice you did not mention the Dreambox as either good or bad. Anyone have any opinions on it?

an openbox would work really good with C-Band as there is lots of DVB-S2 on there....blind scans both
(on a side note...I have one for sale in the classifieds...hint hint) ;)

for comparison i see Eb/No's of around +10.9 on my 10 footer with an orthomode. im hoping to get my second 10 footer aimed today with a dual output lnbf, if i do ill post results as a comparison for you.

crackt out,.

... I do have an ancient 6 foot dish that I could use for Ku band.
The problem is the assembly to hold the feed got broken, so I would have to fabricate something.
But, it is a high quality, solid fiberglass dish, so it would probably be better for Ku band than my 10 foot Winegard.
Name it, and show us some pictures front 'n back.
Depending if it's prime focus or offset, motorized or not, we'll have different suggestions.

AND we LOVE Fabricating things.
You'll get many ideas, or links to ideas already posted! ;)

Alternately, you might find a 1.0 or 1.2 meter dish to your liking for Ku.
We have members with many different views. ;)
The only problem I have with the feed, and this may be why I can't get a Eb/No greater than about +6.5 on my current 10 foot dish and feed is that the F/d ratio is 0.28.
Most feeds are designed for higher F/d ratios.
That's way out of my sandbox.
I think I've read you may need an expensive Seavey feed (sp?) which does the low f/d numbers.
There used to be a mod for Chaparral, but they've discontinued it.
Luckily, used (formerly expensive) items do show up from time to time.
The question is whether you recognize and get it when it drifts by.
I'm sure you'll get more feed advice here, now that you've described the problem.
What dish is it you have? ... oh, you said: 10 foot Winegard.
(you sure about the F/D on that ???)
Do the new style feeds work with a 4dtv receiver?
Yes. That won't be your problem.
We can get anything to work with a 4D... except maybe a bandstacked... ;)
I notice you did not mention the Dreambox as either good or bad.
Not much info. Too expensive, maybe?
Is that the one selling for $800?
I don't even like going $400. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

captiveworks forum gone

2 Liter LNB cover

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)