Recommendations for dish upgrade

dntc0x

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 30, 2009
I presently own the following models of receivers:

Primary: 508D
Secondary: 3000

I presently have two dish 300's (18" dishes) with an SW42 switch.

I subscribe to the classic silver 200, superstations.

I also have been paying the Dish home protection since my Dishplayer recently gave up (replaced by the 508d).

The general manager for my local NBC station announced that they will be on Dish Network by the end of year. The Bluefield/Beckley, WV DMA channels will be on the Anik F3 satellite, but my letter asking this same question to Dish Net only got a "we can't really comment on the locals being available right now" & no comments from them about replacing my physical dishes.

I don't presently have HD capability on the Dish subscriptions, and I'm not too worried about it because I figure that Dish Net will move towards all (or most) HD/MPEG4 in the next year or so anyway, and my receivers will be replaced as necessary.

My primary concern is replacing my dish300 dishes. The signal quality, especially on the 110' satellite is marginal anyway (the 110' fades too easily in the last 6 mos., needs fixed).

I really don't want to go through the hassle of 'fixing' my present dishes, only to find out that I have to change to another physical dish to get my locals. I know that I'll have to have either a 500+ (with add on) or 1000 series dish in order to get the locals on Anik F3.

I would like my least cost recommendation for replacing my Dish300 dishes/sw42 switch as soon as possible, even if the locals on Anik F3 are not ready yet.

I don't know all of the 'offers' that Dish provides, or what many 'local' dealers are authorized to offer. I need to do something quick to correct the problem signal quality on my 110' feed, but I've seen prices anywhere from the $100+ to $400 dollar range on different variations of dish 500 & 1000's on an outright purchase. I'm not rich, and am 'losing ground' financially since the 2008 elections (if you know what I mean).

I also know that my old model 3000 receiver won't work on some of the newer dish/switches (like dish1000). If I get a replacement 'dish' from Dish Net, they will probably replace that old receiver on the 'home protection' service.

Thanks for any suggestions. Dave

Go online for a chat. Tell them you are considering upgrading to HD and ask what it would take.

Recently did that and was upgraded from our 625 to a 622 with a new 1000.2 dish for no charge, just a new 2 year contract. No big deal as we have been with Dish for at least 10 years.

Good luck

Thanks dennisinsc,

I 'chatted' with someone at Dish. They said that I qualified for an upgrade to a 622, which is a dual tuner dvr, that shows hd on one tv, sd on another. They would also upgrade my 'dish' to either a 1000.2 or 1000.4.

The problem is that even though the general managers at some of my local stations have said that they will be available on Dish before the end of this year, they won't commit to a "Dish 1000 +" that has the special 118.7/119 LNBF.

That dish + DPP44 switch is $350 at Sadoun Dish Network Dish 1000 Plus Dish1000Plus 110 118.7 119 129 so I think that's why they don't want to do any 'deals' on that particular dish before my locals are 'actually' available. However, I don't want to have people coming round to my house for the next few months doing 'changes'.

Anyway, I'll wait to see if any of the experts have any other suggestions before deciding.

From my understanding, all you need to do is add an international package or channel to your order and they will installed it with 1000+.

You can add any of these Korean channel for $4.99 and remove it after the install is done.

The system won't let me post a link yet. Just go to Dish site and you'll find there are 5 Korean a la carte channels.

I'm confused....why do you need 118.7 again? My understanding is that no locals will go on 118.7 and that sat is going exclusive for international programing only. Also, you can always keep one of your 300s and repoint it to 118.7 and use the input port on the 1k.2 / 1k.4 depending on what they bring out to you.

I'm confused....why do you need 118.7 again? My understanding is that no locals will go on 118.7 and that sat is going exclusive for international programing only. Also, you can always keep one of your 300s and repoint it to 118.7 and use the input port on the 1k.2 / 1k.4 depending on what they bring out to you.
Agreed that the OP probably doesn't need the 118.7 sat, but his 300 wouldn't work anyway as 118.7 uses circular polarity, so he would need a special LNB.

However, all he would need to do is get installed now. Then wait for Locals to be uplinked and become available. If they are not on satellites he gets, then call in and ask for them to upgrade him, and dish will upgrade as necessary.

Geoff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts