Recommended hard drive to work with 211

ncramer

Original poster
Dec 2, 2008
Just wondering if anyone out there could let me know of a model number of external hard drive that they know will work with a 211. Want to make sure it will work BEFORE i purchase it. Also, can anyone tell me if I have two 211's if i have to pay $40 each to activate the dvr capability on them or if the $40 covers all receivers on my account.

thanks!

I just ordered up a 750GB WD My Book for my 211 at Staples for $80. When I searched it on Amazon some of the reviewers said they were using them for ViP hook-ups with no problem. The sale at Staples ends tomorrow. (Interestingly the flyer said $90, but the price in-store was $10 less (?), plus tax of course.) They were out of them so I have to wait while one is shipped from another store (no extra cost to me) thus I can't actually vouch for it yet, but I don't expect any problems. Some folks have had issues with My Books in general, not necessarily as an EHD. I figured for the price I'd give it a try...

Dish tech support confirmed for me today that 750GB is the EHD upper limit, but not just for the 211. (I have a separate thread challenging that limit but no replies yet.)

I just ordered up a 750GB WD My Book at Staples for $80. When I searched it on Amazon some of the reviewers said they were using them for ViP hook-ups with no problem. The sale at Staples ends tomorrow. (Interestingly the flyer said $90, but the price in-store was $10 less (?), plus tax of course.) They were out of them so I have to wait while one is shipped from another store (no extra cost to me) so I can't actually vouch for it yet, but I don't expect any problems. Some folks have had issues with My Books in general, not necessarily as an EHD. I figured for the price I'd give it a try...

Dish tech support confirmed for me today that 750GB is the upper limit, but not just for the 211. (I have a separate thread challenging that limit but no replies yet.)

Thanks, i'll check out Staples. Their website says $159.99 for a 750GB WD my book, so hopefully my local store has them on sale. That's hell of a price.

OK, have another question - i had Dish activate the hard drive dvr feature via online chat and the agent said the hard drive had to have its own AC power adapter. i have an external hard drive that i use to store music and photos on and it connects only via USB. all external hard drives i have ever seen have only the USB interface (i'm not a computer geek though so it's not like i have a ton of knowledge on the subject). Any thoughts??

OK, have another question - i had Dish activate the hard drive dvr feature via online chat and the agent said the hard drive had to have its own AC power adapter. i have an external hard drive that i use to store music and photos on and it connects only via USB. all external hard drives i have ever seen have only the USB interface (i'm not a computer geek though so it's not like i have a ton of knowledge on the subject). Any thoughts??
We're thinking the power available at the USB port may not be enough to power an external drive, but that would depend on additional factors. Even if it is enough, that's an extra load on the PS in the ViP receiver which in the case of my 622 is already running too hot as it is!

I just picked-up a 1TB drive at Staples today for $100 + tax, down from $150 in addition to the 750GB drive I already ordered. (The sale ends tomorrow for both.) Per "my" other thread in the Tech forum, even tho' Dish says the limit is 750GB, at least 1 other sub. has connected a 1.5TB drive successfully, but apparently it has to be a single drive vs. a RAID congiguration. Both the 750GB drive I ordered and the one I bought today have external AC adapters, so there will be no issue with powering from the USB.

As long as the receiver is turned on the drive will have power, but if you turn the receiver off you also turn off the drive, just as in a computer.

I have a standard usb drive on my 211 and if I turn the receiver off no scheduled programs will record. I have to leave the receiver on all the time. Thats the reason for the separate power supply.
John

I remember reading that the receiver will not power the device. Someone on another thread posted a link to the actual user guide on DN site.

I use this docking device:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-BlacX-eSATA-Docking-Station/dp/B001A4HAFS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235174918&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Thermaltake BlacX eSATA Hard Drive USB Docking Station: Electronics[/ame]

And this drive, made for video surveillance purposes by Seagate:

Seagate SV35.3 ST3500320SV Hard Drive - ST3500320SV - Buy.com

The advantage with the setup is that I can pop the drives without unscrewing or unplugging anything... most of the drive is exposed, so it runs very cool, just warm to touch. Remember, the drive is constantly spinning.

The whole setup cost me < $100 with rebates.

The drive must have an ac adapter to connect to a wall outlet plus a cable with a usb plug to plug into the 211. I have two 500gb WD my book essentials hooked to my 211 AND 722. Both work fine. You can use a 750gb and a few people have been successful with 1 TB, but 1TB is not suported by Dish yet.

Im using a WD 750GB mybook essential. Works great! ( Vip211k)
I originally got a 1TB WD Mybook Essential but it didnt work with my 211k. I read somewere that this weeks 211k update now allows 1tb drives to work. I haven't tested this but they mentioned it over At dbstalk and here also.

I preferd the 1TB ( bigger's always better :D) but im happy with my 750GB to. Drive runs cool and is virtually silent ( And this units in my bedroom ). Only thing i did was Tape over the Activity light with electrical tape because at night those lights are WAY WAY to bright.

1TB is supported for 211 L524 and 211k L455 software versions which are rolling out now. I don't know if anyone has tried anything higher.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)