Recommended way to waterproof connectors?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JDS

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 6, 2004
We found out we have two problems. One is that our Microyal DP34 has a bad port. (We can live without the 110 sat, waiting on DP44's to come out so we can add 61.5 Sky Angel. A loooong wait.)

Another problem is when it rains, we lose signal for a while, sometimes a whole day, then it comes back on. We installed it ourselves, then paid a professional to come troubleshoot. He said we should put silicone on all of the connectors. If we do that when it's dry and has a good signal, will that ensure that all the moisture is out of the connectors? (We don't want to seal the moisture IN!)

Or should we buy some water-tight connectors? We probably need just a few, and don't know of a source. Are they available locally, like at Lowe's? or Best Buy?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Buy some outdoor F-81 connectors. They have a rubber O-Ring on the inside. Screw it on, give it a little nudge of a 7/16 wrench and that sould seal it up. Becareful not to over tighten, you can break the connector. Check your local retailer for these.
-Freya1

Although I prefer to use snap-n-seal connectors, if you don't already have their compression tool, it would get a bit expensive to do just a few connections. Here's a crimp-style connector that should be available locally:
Radioshack

Also, don't forget to make drip loops on all your cable runs - helps shed water before it gets to the connectors.

Dave

Nothing can beat 3M Scotchkote for sealing electrical connectors. I have used this stuff for over 20 years on connectors exposed to salt-water. Check you local Lowes for a can.

Use F-Connector boots and fill the connectors (before screwing them on) with dielectric grease. You will then never have to worry about water problems.

My installer put plastic water proof caps on the open ports and put the ring inside the ones that had connections and thats been a year ago and no problems so far.

Thank you, everybody! Now I know what to look for at the store.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)