Record an OTA station & watch sat ch. at the same time?

styxfix

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 7, 2003
Pacific Coast
I've trying to figure out how to record the current program on an digital OTA channel and watch another sat dish channel at the same time. Every time I've tried, I get the same error message [312].

"Your request can only be carried out in live mode. Stop recording and switch to live mode now?

When I push the record button is brings the option mode which says that I can only record manually. Every other option is grayed out and not available. After I press OK on the screen my OTA digital channel begins to record, but when I enter any sat channel after the recording begins is when I get this error message. I always have to stop the recording on the OTA channel to watch another sat channel. I called tech support and spoke with her for almost twenty minutes and she couldn't figure it out either. PIP doesn't work with an OTA digital channel. She said that someone else from tech support would have to call me back with an answer. That was almost two hours ago.

I don't have any program info on my EPG on my OTA local stations on my 921 receiver, while my 811 does include this programming info.

The OTA guide on 921 is remapped from SAT locals, doesn't work if you don't subscribe to SAT locals that correspond to your actual OTA locals. If you do subscribe, and some of us did just that for free (temporarily), you can press record on your current local program and then switch to SAT programming. I don't know why PIP doesn't work on SD OTA plus SD SAT, hardware limitation or software, it's an annoyance that affects all 921s. This OTA guide issue is my biggest complaint with 921 at the moment, followed by stretch mode issues.

Sounds like you are recording a channel that doesn't have guide info. In that case, if you go to menu-7, setup a manual timer for the OTA channel, it will start recording and will let you change the channel to any SAT channel of your choice (can't watch another OTA-HD channel because the box only has 1 OTA-HD tuner).

Otherwise, like bbriggs says, if you have guide info, then you will have more options when you just hit the record button and won't have to worry about the manual timer.

I'll have to call then up and see if I can temporarily get my locals in order to get this thing working correctly. I'm still have lots of issues with the new software even w/ my replacement 921 unit. Missing timers (they're still listed in timer menu, but they're from the past, eg. 12/18/04 timer did not fire), HD/SD, format, menu and DVR buttons not functioning on remote or on unit and unit freezing up when trying to watch a DVR event. If it wasn't so cold outside, I would have thrown my 921 receiver out the window.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts