Record button sometimes does nothing

tangible

Original poster
Jan 12, 2004
Sometimes when I navigate to a program in the Guide and press RECORD or SELECT, instead of going to the usual recording options box, the system simply returns to live TV. This will happen a few times, and then return to the correct behavior even though I've done nothing different.

Any thoughts about what is happening?

tangible said:
Sometimes when I navigate to a program in the Guide and press RECORD or SELECT, instead of going to the usual recording options box, the system simply returns to live TV. This will happen a few times, and then return to the correct behavior even though I've done nothing different.

Any thoughts about what is happening?

Hi tangible, I had a 501 and a 510 and I do not remember ever having that happen to me. I now have a 721 and it definitly does not happen with it. The manual recommends to use the select button when wanting to set up a recording from within the guide menu.

Bob

Bob, I'm not sure what benefit there is in telling me that my question is stupid, and that you haven't had this problem. I don't pretend to be an expert; that's why I'm here asking for help. I'm hoping to hear from someone who can provide some assistance. BTW, the Record and Select buttons appear to act identically while in Guide mode, provided that the selected program is not currently live. In any case, I've encountered the problem repeatedly with both keys.

tangible said:
Bob, I'm not sure what benefit there is in telling me that my question is stupid, and that you haven't had this problem. I don't pretend to be an expert; that's why I'm here asking for help. I'm hoping to hear from someone who can provide some assistance. BTW, the Record and Select buttons appear to act identically while in Guide mode, provided that the selected program is not currently live. In any case, I've encountered the problem repeatedly with both keys.
Oops, you mistook Bob's tagline as a reference to your question. Do not be upset, it is just a tagline and is not refering to your question at all, just a cute saying. (like in my tagline, 'Reporting from the left coast'

Tangible,

I've had this happened with my 501. It happens whether I press "Record" or "Select". It's very frustrating.

Rebooting might help temporarily, but the problem always comes back for me.

I've found only one thing that helps. The problem seems to occur when you scroll both horizontally and vertically through the program guide to find the program you want to record. Try limiting your scrolling to horizontal. Select the channel you want to record from on the program guide and watch that channel live. Then, bring up the program guide and scroll to the right to find the program you want to record. Press "select" or "record".

I hope they fix this problem in a future software release.

tangible said:

tangible, sorry you misunderstood my signature line for part of an answer to your question. If you'll do a search on my forum replies you'll see that all of my replies have that on the bottom of them.

I might think about taking that off I sure do not want to offend anyone as a matter of fact I'd probably be the last one to give you a smart ellick answer. So good luck with your problem.

Bob

Thanks to all who responded. It appears that this is a real bug, so I guess I'll just muddle through (via rebooting or fiddling with the scrolling as suggested above) until it's fixed, either intentionally or serendipitously.

With regard to my earlier complaint: I did, in a quick reading, mistake a tagline for part of the body of the message. I regret the misunderstanding, and my over-sensitivity. But that begs the question. Why have an "amusing" tag line at all, especially if it could be construed as offensive? Surely no one is actually amused after the first reading, if then. Anyway, it's all a matter of perspective. For instance, I assume the gentleman who claims to hail from the "left coast" is a Californian, but to an Alaskan like me the left coast borders the Atlantic Ocean, not the Pacific!

Hi tangible, after the mistake I decided that I did not want to ever confuse anyone with my signature at the bottom of my posts so I changed my signature as not to confuse anyone.

Now as far as why have a signature well it is one of the few ways that we can let other people learn a little bit about ourselves without writing an autobiography.

Signatures are very popular on the INTERNET millions of people use them for different reasons. Some to make people mad and others to make people laugh. So anytime I see a line of text at the bottom of a page and usually separated by a paragraph I just take it with a grain of salt.

Good luck
Bob

Ah, I see. I'll try it. Perhaps some pertinent poetry to reveal my belles lettres education...
give him every channel
and throw in a potato knish.

tangible said:
Ah, I see. I'll try it. Perhaps some pertinent poetry to reveal my belles lettres education...
give him every channel
and throw in a potato knish.

There you go tangible you got the spirit and that was a mighty fine limerick!

Bob

ChrisCoop said:
There once was a man from Nantucket...

SimpleSimon said:
who put his Dish in a bucket...

GaryPen said:
...full of concrete so hard, and a pole of two yards..

He got sick of reboots, so he chucked it.

Guys, that is FANTASTIC!!! I'm going to look into putting that on a T-shirt or something. Thanks a million for the laughs! :haha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)