Recorded Program odd behavior

riderj

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 21, 2007
Branson
If you have mistakenly recorded multiple recordings of a particular program (same program, same episode), now you can not see each individually recorded program in the DVR. The program listing in the DVR is shown with a descriptor 2 or 3 to indicate there is more than one recording. When you click on that program, there is no indication that you have more than one program recorded; it just asks you to resume, start over, or delete. This happens both on the Hopper recordings as well as the EHD recordings.

In order to access and get rid of the inadvertent recordings, you need to delete all of the recordings of that problematic title . Then you can see each of the recordings in trash, delete the ones that were inadvertently recorded, and then move the one you want to keep back to the DVR.

This is a hassle, but if you have also added multiple recordings to an EHD, it gets more time consuming. You need to move the recordings back to the Hopper, delete them, go to trash, delete the extras, move the recording back to the hopper, and then move it back to the EHD.

I do not remember this happening until recently. I am still running on H333.

Is there something I am missing?

Reactions: charlesrshell
Also running H333 and my Hopper does display multiple recordings as a graphic with a number in the lower corner but when I open it up the programs are all listed and I can sort them by date recorded or by episode and delete them individually if necessary.

Similarly on my EHD all programs are listed by episode and by season, but it ois not unusual for those to be incorrect because sometimes they are counted by the serial episode number and sometimes by the season and episode number within that season.

Have you done a power cord reboot of your hopper recently?

Power cord reboot - no. I will try that later tonight.

My issue is about multiple recordings of the same show or movie. Imagine recording Jaws three times. You have three individuals copies of the same movie. That is where it will not show all three. It will play the show, but I am not able to delete two of them, leaving only one without going thru the process I explained.

If you have mistakenly recorded multiple recordings of a particular program (same program, same episode), now you can not see each individually recorded program in the DVR. The program listing in the DVR is shown with a descriptor 2 or 3 to indicate there is more than one recording. When you click on that program, there is no indication that you have more than one program recorded; it just asks you to resume, start over, or delete. This happens both on the Hopper recordings as well as the EHD recordings.

Is there something I am missing?
Yeah, you can, if you go into one of those blocks of programs, you'll see that one of the top tabs (After Summary) now says Episodes. If you go to that tab and select it you'll see each and every one of programs and play or delete (or even move individual ones to an EHD if the timeout has expired, NBC uses 7 days before you can move a recording to an EHD).

I record things like The Blacklist, Good Doctor, etc. If I try to move the entire tile it's won't let me because one of them was just recorded. But if I go into the Episodes tab and then hit Manage Recordings in the Option button, you'll see that some of them will swing over and have a check box next to them that you can select to transfer. Not exactly intuitive but there is only so many things you can fit into a complicated UI like the Hopper has.

I've done two online chats with Marketing, Development, etc at Dish as in real life before retirement I did a lot with this stuff, as to how the menus can be improved or what people would think are more important than others. Who knows, a few of my suggestions might be popping up one of these days.

Well, OK Mr Bookworm - thank you.
I have a feeling that the addition of the recordings tab is somewhat of a new addition; I am not sure. I do remember that in the past all the duplicate recordings would show up automatically when you click on the recording. If you had a hand in this improvement, thanks. In any of your interactions with them, were you ever given reasons why certain decision were made or not made?

Finally I've found some people that are experiencing similar DISH problems that I have encountered.
Mine differ slightly in that my main issue only concerns recordings from movies, not from TV series.

I've had DISH for about 4 years now, and just had my original Hopper3 replaced with another Hopper3. My old Hopper was 'losing' recordings, and my new Hopper is showing similar problems. Here is what happens:

When I record multiple clips (not the FULL movie) from the same movie, my counter will show the correct number of recordings but when I click on the icon, I only have one recording to play/delete. As noted above, I had figured out that I could retrieve all recordings with the 'delete all to trash' method. Doing that method, I delete all to trash, restore one clip, move it to a different folder, restore another clip, move it to yet a different folder than the first clip, and so on for all clips.

This is a ridiculous, cumbersome way to save recordings. Plus, if I made 6 clips from the same movie, I would have to have 6 different folders to move each clip to so they didn't become 'invisible' again. I thought in my early DISH days, my multiple movie clips would all show as line items to choose from. Now, all my movie clips only show access to one recording per title, even though the counter shows multiple.

If anyone knows of a way to prevent this, I would be very glad to know. I'm still troubleshooting it but no luck yet.

Another issue I had with 'invisible/missing' recordings had to do with me maxing out my Hopper storage (98-99%). I recently added an EHD and moved the bulk of my recordings to it. What happened before I did the moves, I didn't have access to hundreds of recordings (this time - TV shows). Some older recordings wouldn't even show one available. I'd get a message that none existed. Others would show a severe drop in the counter displayed. For example, one TV show indicated I had 120 recordings. If I clicked on the show, I would see lots of line items to choose. However, when I backed out of that show, the counter was now showing '55', not '120' !!!

After first moving everything that showed 100% of the recordings, as disk space was freed up, the counters of the 'invisible shows' would grow larger. With the above example, it eventually got back to '120' - both before and after backing out. Also, an older recorded series that was showing as empty, eventually showed all 40 full episodes and I was able to transfer all to the EHD.

I've mentioned all the above to multiple DISH techs, and not one has said they have ever heard of this before. I also asked them to add the folder function to EHDs, but that is another issue.

I hope this helps any others have problems.

Trying to figure out what you just said. Honestly an edge case. If I get the chance I'll try to duplicate.
I do know that there is a bug that if a show is recorded and you open it up, it will only show - Record or Showtimes but no Play button. But the workaround is that if you are on that screen just press the Play button on the remote, even though the option isn't shown, and it will start to play.