Recording from my 6000; S-VHS or D-VHS or?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Warren

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 5, 2003
I have to record some things from my 6000 occasionally, mostly because I get up REALLY early and I want to see West Wing or CSI or whatever the next day. I've been using my old Toshiba HiFi VCR for this, and it doesn't look too bad, but it'd be nice to have better picture quality.

Of course, it would be nice to record in HD- but that seems to be pricey and difficult. My question is; would I notice a big difference if I had a S-VHS recorder? I can get a JVC S 3901 for about $100.
Or, for a few hundred more I could get a JVC D3000 which is capable of recording HD, but only through firewire as I understand it. Seems that would be next to impossible with the 6000. I saw some posts over at AVS about something 169, but it was way over my head and seemed like I'd be spending way more money to accomplish what I could do with a 921 very easily. I'm just not going to spend that kind of money right now.
So........, suggestions?

By the way, why didn't Dish make the 6000 capable of putting a network affiliation with the OTA HD channels? Seems silly to me. I can do it with my analog channels, but who would want to record that when you have a perfectly good digital channel right next to it!

S-VHS would be your best best for the $$ the picture resolution is good for a couple hundred more lines of resolution.

If its in the budget, go DVR

For $100 I'd give the S-VHS a try. Then think about the 921. After that consider the 169time and a D-VHS.

Warren said:
I can get a JVC S 3901 for about $100.

If you don't mind refurbished, you may want to look around on the net at some of the places that sell JVC refurbs. I was able to get once recently for $70 shipped. Looks brand new & works great.

I can't give you an opinion of how it records, though. It is strickly a player in my system. My Tivo handles the recording.

Can the 6000 be configured to output 480i? Some of the Philips DVD recorders have component inputs.

Probably not worth the $$$ unless you have other uses for the DVDR.

Dish is going to be offering the 510 for FREE with 2 years commitment. Thats a good alternative!

Oh, you want to record Digital OTA channels? In that case you can hook a Tivo up to it or go with the Panasonic DVD recorder... but sounds like you are budgeting under $200?

I want to get a DVD recorder at some point, but I think I'll wait awhile until the price point comes down some more. I'm leaning towards the S-VHS for now because I have several old VHS tapes, and as I understand it I'll need the S-video capability to archive them to DVD someday.

Anybody know if the 3901 is a good deck?

David_Levin said:
Can the 6000 be configured to output 480i? Some of the Philips DVD recorders have component inputs.

Probably not worth the $$$ unless you have other uses for the DVDR.
The output of the 6000's S-Video and composite are 480i. The only 1080i/720p comes from the component or RBG outputs.

You can import a W-VHS machine from Japan that will record Component Video up to 1080i. Problem is it doesn't record digital audio, and it costs an arm and a leg. You're next solution is the 169time solution. Costs as much as W-VHS, voids your 6000 warranty, but you get firewire out, so you can record to D-VHS, or future recording mediums like Blu-Ray. 921 is the long term solution, at least for dish. But rummors is LG will have firewire out on a DirecTV STB in 2004.

Give a DVD recorder more thought

I bought a Philips DVDR75 this weekend, and hooked it up by S-Video cable to my 6000. Last night I recorded Carnivale off HBO-HD (in SD mode, of course) at two hour per disc quality. (The Philips can record 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 or 6 hours per disc, with corresponding differences in resolution and quality.) The recording was just outstanding, with all the advantages of a disc. I have a JVC SVHS machine hooked up as well, but the DVD recording is clearly better.

By the way, I got Circuit City to price match the Philips at $399 (from a net search) and I bought a pack of 10 DVD+RW discs yesterday at OfficeMax on sale for $25.99. By comparison, about fifteen years ago I bought my first VHS Hi-Fi deck, a Zenith, for $500 (in more valuable dollars), and VHS tapes cost about $3 each at the time. The difference in quality and convenience is measured in miles.

DVD+R (that is, write once) discs can now be bought for slightly over $1 on sale, and I bet they'll be at 50 cents or less in six months. I plan to start transferring my tape archive very soon. I think VCRs are about to go the way of turntables. I have bought many VCRs over the years, including recently a few DVD/VCR combos -- but after seeing what that DVD recorder can do I'm convinced I've bought my last one, and will be selling a few while there's still a market for them.

Last point -- I had thought I would spend my discretionary electronics dollars this fall on an 811 or maybe a 322, but Dish's dithering made me re-think things. I'm glad I did.

Well, I went ahead and ordered the S-VHS deck for $101 shipped. I know it's old technology, but I'm hoping it will tide me over until I can actually record HD at an affordable price.

Thanks again for all the advice, though! I'm sure I'll have a DVD recorder at some point. I just wish they'd start making HD compatable DVD recorders. For around $300, of course :D

Re: Give a DVD recorder more thought

Forward said:
By comparison, about fifteen years ago I bought my first VHS Hi-Fi deck, a Zenith, for $500 (in more valuable dollars), and VHS tapes cost about $3 each at the time.

When I bought my first VHS recorder, it was $1200 and tapes were $20 each.

You can get a refurbed JVC 30000 DVHS deck at Ecost.com for $299. I picked one up and record HD programming downconverted via S-Video in standard def and the programming looks very good on a digital tape. I've tried it on a regular analog tape and it's full of noise. The digital tapes are very clean looking, as good as a DVD. I'm watching it on a 110" diagonal screen with a projector and am very happy with the output. The HD movies are mind blowing.

Re: Give a DVD recorder more thought

Forward said:
I bought a Philips DVDR75 this weekend, and hooked it up by S-Video cable to my 6000. Last night I recorded Carnivale off HBO-HD (in SD mode, of course) at two hour per disc quality. (The Philips can record 1, 2, 2.5, 3, 4 or 6 hours per disc, with corresponding differences in resolution and quality.) The recording was just outstanding, with all the advantages of a disc. I have a JVC SVHS machine hooked up as well, but the DVD recording is clearly better.

:?: I just got the DVDR80 and have made myself dizzy getting it hooked up. First I tried to come out of the 6000 with the components to the DVDR and then into the home theater.... guess what happened. Anyway, what Id like to know is if you by any chance found the code to use so you can program the 6000 to control the Phillips.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts