Recording of Broadcast Programs (OTA)

watchout

Original poster
Jul 24, 2010
north carolina
New member. How can I record local broadcast OTA digital programs? I have both digital and analog TVs and am willing to purchase a converter box, but would like to record the evening news on a hard drive rather than my VCR (tape system), and do not want to subscribe to a monthly satellite service. I still have a DVR which I purchased when I subscribed to a satellite service, but have ditched the service and do not want another.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Master-CM-7000PAL-Digital-Recorder/dp/B0033TJPJW"]Amazon.com: Channel Master CM-7000PAL Digital Video Recorder?@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41ikYqY2ZAL.@@AMEPARAM@@41ikYqY2ZAL[/ame]

OTA Recording with a DVR

What do you have for a DVR how much are you willing to pay? How jury rigged a setup are you willing put together?
I am a retired guy living on a modest income, and am not interested in paying $350 for the Channel Master unit advertised on Amazon.com. I own two DVRs which I paid for up front -- (1) a TiVo Model No. PV-V4520 bought from Directv more than five years ago, and (2) DishDVR 625 which I bought more than three years ago. I'm sure both are analog. They both have external antenna (RF) inputs, but neither records in this mode. I am willing to modify my own equipment in whatever manner is needed. I once built my own amplifier, but am not up to speed on modern technology.

Googling TiVo PV-V4520 keeps bringing up a Panasonic VCR not a TiVo. Please check your model number. A Series 1 or 2 TiVo will cost $13/mo. for a subscription unless you have a Lifetime Subscription. It can be combined with several converter boxes to allow ATSC recording of your OTA channels.

I have an old DISH 811 receiver (about $50) combined with a SONY SVR-2000 TiVo with Lifetime. Using the IR Blasters I can watch all my OTA channels and record in my abscence. About a $150 cost to set things up but no monthly fees and if I did it with just manual recordings it could be done for less.

A DISH DTV PAL could be combined with a Series 1 Sony/Phillips/Magnavox TiVo for probably less than $100 with careful shopping.

OTA Recording with a DVR

Thanks for the info. I will double check the model numbers and get back to you tomorrow. How much did you have to pay for the Lifetime subscription? I definitely do not want the $13 per month billing.

There are a couple of TiVo Series 2 with Lifetime service on eBay for around $150, add a digital converter box to it and you have yourself a nice OTA DVR for about $200, no monthly fees.

If you're patient, you might get the TiVo for less.

If you have a computer, add an ATSC tuner card, they usually come with recording software.

EBay auction 390221261233 is a SONY SVR-2000 w/Lifetime sub. currently $9.99. This was a $65 Buy it Now that didn't sell and was relisted as an auction. It dosen't have a remote but I've had very good luck with One For All universal remote URC-6131 and setup code 0636, for me it works better than original SONY RMT-V303.

I can't tell you anything about the seller but I've got 3 or 4 of the SONYs and they work good. If there is any problem it is the hard drives fail but they are easily obtained and replaced.

The Magnavox DVR's work great. I have it cousin the Philips DVR and am very happy with it. (both manufactured by Funai) The only thing is that my one does not have a program guide, so all the recordings are timer recordings by setting the channel and start and end times. (just like an older VCR) No program guide to simply press record on the entry you want reordered. You can record to the hard disk or to a DVD. You can also transfer from hard disk to DVD and vice versa. (on non-copy protected DVD's). There are two models, basically the same but with different size hard drives. Now, these units only record in SD, (will record a HD program, but downgraded to SD) but do upconvert to a TV if using a HDTV. It will also work with an older SD TV as well.

Search results for dvd recorder - Walmart

Guys, thanks for your info. I have been struggling today with my old Crossfire outdoor antenna and rotator. Both are now working very well. I gave the model no. yesterday for my VCR. Sorry, my bad. Here are the two units I have -- Phillips model no. DSR 708, 2 channel input, with RF in and RF out; and (newer) Echo Technologies model no. DE05, also 2 channel input, RF in and out. But neither records on RF in. I can buy a good quality (according to reviews) converter box from Amazon for $33, with free shipping if I wait. Can either of you tell me what else I must buy and how to hook it up using my equipment? Incidentally, I get very good digital reception. Where I live on the side of a mountain, the analog pictures were full of ghosts, but no longer. I do not know what a Sony SVR 2000 is, but I did put my own satellite S-band receiving system together back in the mid-1970s, with an AVCOM receiver. Now most of it is useless.

Your converter box should have a composite or s-Video output.

Can your equipment record over composite or s-video?

That is the best video quality input for SD.

I have hooked up a Zenith digital converter box to my TiVo and my Panasonic Showstopper DVR's via composite and the picture was very good even for SD.

Just connect the yellow to video, red to right audio and white to left audio and set the recorder to accept that input.

Be careful in buying a converter box. Very few have any programability. With a TiVo you can program some models to work with an IR blaster to change channels in your abscence. The DTV PAL has programability built in so you can record ABC at 5pm then change to NBC at 6pm most converter boxes will need to be changed manually.

What I Have

Guys, I have been out of town for some time.
I have one DSR and one DVR left over after fulfilling my contracts. The first is several years old from Directv. It is a Phillips DSR 708 and is still functional. Its connectors are: two audio/video outputs (two sets of red, white, and yellow); two USB ports; one digital audio port; one S-video port; two satellite-in recepticles; one "rf in" (for cable or antenna); and one "rf out" to my TV. It receives antenna signals on rf in but will not record them.
The second is Dish DVR 625, and still receives the free Dish channels (mostly junk). It has two sets of audio/video outputs; one USB port; one S-video port; one rf in and one rf out. It also receives antenna signals on rf in but will not record them.
Here is my question: Is there a box out there which will allow me to record OTA digital signals (converted) by either one of my DVRs? It appears that the answer is no, but I hope I am wrong.

New member. How can I record local broadcast OTA digital programs?.

If you are willing to consider a PC, then an ATSC receiver with a USB interface or PCI(e) will do what you want and more. There are many low cost USB devices available that will record to your hard-drive. Playback to your TV can be achieved with a multimedia device, with wireless or wired options. Some newer digital TV's have an Ethernet connection for local intranet connection, avoiding the need for a multimedia device.
The software, depending on the TV channel, can provide a detailed EPG data, useful for setting the PVR function. Many network ATSC broadcasters do provide good EPG data. Its also possible to get EPG data from the internet for DVR setup.

Dug up an old thread looking to record OTA channels mainly RTV and Antenna TV. Will the Sony SVR-2000's record digital OTA signals?:confused:

EBay auction 390221261233 is a SONY SVR-2000 w/Lifetime sub. currently $9.99. This was a $65 Buy it Now that didn't sell and was relisted as an auction. It dosen't have a remote but I've had very good luck with One For All universal remote URC-6131 and setup code 0636, for me it works better than original SONY RMT-V303.

I can't tell you anything about the seller but I've got 3 or 4 of the SONYs and they work good. If there is any problem it is the hard drives fail but they are easily obtained and replaced.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)