recording one channel and watching another on live

sexxxxy_f

Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
i found out you cannot use tv1 to record and view another channel. :confused:But is it possible to hook up a vcr to record one channel while viewing another?

The 522 has two tuners. You can have each tuned to one channel. This means you can watch 2 shows live, watch 1 show live and record one show, or record two shows at any given time.

How would I do that? I thought I could just record a movie on TV2 and still watch a live program on TV1, although I have not tried it yet. I would love to know how to do it your way. Thanks much.

sexxxxy_f said:
i found out you cannot use tv1 to record and view another channel. :confused:But is it possible to hook up a vcr to record one channel while viewing another?

The answer to your question is yes. You also can watch a recorded show on tv1 one while recording a show on tv1.

Now if you do hook up a VCR to tv1 you can then record one show on the VCR and watch a live show or a recorded show at the same time.

Now if I understand they either already have an upgrade or are planning one very soon to let you hook up both of the 522's outputs to one tv and then you would not need the VCR to do what you want.

Here are some of the scenarios you could use if you get the update.

1. Record 2 shows at once and view a 3rd one that you already have recorded.
2. Record one show and watch another show live.
3. Now of course that takes the 2nd tv out of the equation and that is one of the strongest selling points of the 522. But if my info is correct you should be able to use both tuner outputs on one tv very soon.

Folks please help me out if I'm wrong about the 522 I sure do not want to mislead anyone.

Thanks,
Bob :)

You don't need an upgrade to connect both outputs to a single TV as long as your TV has at least one available composite video (or S-video) input. Just connect the TV2 Out to one of your TV's Line In connections. My TV has two line inputs so I connect TV1 to one and TV2 to the other. Then I can us my TV's PIP capability to watch both tuners at the same time. Of course I have to use both remote controls since each remote controls only one tuner. I also connected my OTA antenna to my TV's RF input so I can still watch live local channels if both TV1 and TV2 are busy recording.

Sky King49 said:
How would I do that? I thought I could just record a movie on TV2 and still watch a live program on TV1, although I have not tried it yet. I would love to know how to do it your way. Thanks much.
Mine defaults to recording on TV2.. I just select something to record and that's it.. I'm watching TV1 while TV2 is recording.

maximum said:
You don't need an upgrade to connect both outputs to a single TV as long as your TV has at least one available composite video (or S-video) input. Just connect the TV2 Out to one of your TV's Line In connections. My TV has two line inputs so I connect TV1 to one and TV2 to the other. Then I can us my TV's PIP capability to watch both tuners at the same time. Of course I have to use both remote controls since each remote controls only one tuner. I also connected my OTA antenna to my TV's RF input so I can still watch live local channels if both TV1 and TV2 are busy recording.
eneable record plus and default to 2

stratguy said:
... Now if I understand they either already have an upgrade or are planning one very soon to let you hook up both of the 522's outputs to one tv and then you would not need the VCR to do what you want.

Here are some of the scenarios you could use if you get the update.

1. Record 2 shows at once and view a 3rd one that you already have recorded.
2. Record one show and watch another show live.
3. Now of course that takes the 2nd tv out of the equation and that is one of the strongest selling points of the 522. But if my info is correct you should be able to use both tuner outputs on one tv very soon.

Folks please help me out if I'm wrong about the 522 I sure do not want to mislead anyone.

Thanks,
Bob :)
You're getting there Bob. :)

The update will allow you to output both tuners onto the TV1 line - in other words the PIP feature will be in the 522. This is your scenario #3

As for your other scenarios, they can already be done - and even more.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)