recording over a network?

Here is something I've cut from another's post , and saved it.
"AZBox - This may help if you are networking drives
How to Record to the Network Drive
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recording to the Network Drive (AZBox)

I have an elite so always intended to record to a network drive, the software is not ready to do this yet, but there is a workaround.

Some rules:

Recording HD channel to a networked drive does not work properly yet.
Recording with Timeshift enabled screws it up, disable it
CCcam 0.1 does not record. 0.2 does.

You cannot record onto a PC's networked drive, per se. Presently, if not using a Premium internal drive, it can just record onto a usb drive. But, if you put a small usb stick in, you can trick it by mounting the usb to your PC share.

I have a PC with IP 192.168.1.33, with a shared folder named "Peliculas", inside this folder, two more folders named "pvrfile" and "recordfile".

- Plug a USB Flash Drive on STB (lower connector USB1).
- Telnet to this box, an type this two commands:

mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/movie -o guest
mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/usb1/sda1 -o guest

(Change the Ip and folder name to yours)

After that, when I enter to Home->Video, I see all my films on PC (the first command make that possible).
And when I push the record button and begin the recording, the record it´s made on PC.

once that works, it would be useful to have it do this at start up as opposed to having to telnet to it and do it again. so via telnet

mount -o remount,Re -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /MMP

This makes that folder writable. find file S.sh in /MMP/usr/bin and add at the very end of it these three lines

sleep 10
mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/movie -o guest
mount.cifs //192.168.1.33/Peliculas /DATA/usb1/sda1 -o guest

reboot box and the mounts should happen automatically. note any upgrades to box will probably remove these three lines and you would have to do it again. I would expect later on, that recording to network drives will be standard feature."

I've never tried this, ( I rarely use any recording, and when I do, I use my PCI usb setup to do it ) , but someday I might try it , just for laughs.
:)
Good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts