recording PPV

blockisle9

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Last night I ordered a ppv movie and fell asleep during it, Can I record a ppv movie on the 522? then if this happens again I can watch it when ever.
Thanks!

As far as I've heard, you can do it (advise you're there and conscious to at least verify that it starts recording).

Let us know what movie not to order since it put you to sleep! :p

The manual actually specifies this as an example, so it ought to work. (Never tried it myself.) Of course, make sure you order it ahead of time.

I read somewhere that Tivo and ReplayTV have agreed to limit the length of time you can keep recorded PPV events in future models. Let's hope E* doesn't move in the same direction.

blockisle9 said:
Last night I ordered a ppv movie and fell asleep during it, Can I record a ppv movie on the 522? then if this happens again I can watch it when ever.
Thanks!

Absolutely... I have 2 PPVs recorded now... archived them to DVD with Dolby Digital.... wonder if that violates anything... I did ay for it and legitimately recorded it... I guess if I dont distribute It Ill be ok?

anyone got a ruling on that?

Shadow: If the MPAA had their way, you'd be in the electric chair by now.

They only way they ever want you to watch any of their stuff is if you hand them your wallet, salute, and then watch it "as the maker intended" without leaving your seat, or heaven forbid, pausing or rewinding it! :shocked:

ShadowEKU said:
Absolutely... I have 2 PPVs recorded now... archived them to DVD with Dolby Digital.... wonder if that violates anything... I did ay for it and legitimately recorded it... I guess if I dont distribute It Ill be ok?

anyone got a ruling on that?

Did you use a stand alone DVD recorder? I want to record to DVD but am trying to use a DVD burner on a PC. I know I have to use a capture device to use a PC but will it still keep Dolby Digital?

Oh yeah, recording PPV is easy. Its the same as setting the DVR to record any show. Find the one you want (before it starts) and hit select. The reciever automaticlly orders it for you and sets up the timer.

Fins said:
Did you use a stand alone DVD recorder? I want to record to DVD but am trying to use a DVD burner on a PC. I know I have to use a capture device to use a PC but will it still keep Dolby Digital?

Oh yeah, recording PPV is easy. Its the same as setting the DVR to record any show. Find the one you want (before it starts) and hit select. The reciever automaticlly orders it for you and sets up the timer.

I used my PC... it has A Dolby Toslink and SPDIF in... i dont remember the name of the software I use.,.. its not by Roxio or Nero

i use ulead dvd movie factory

i have dvd xpress fromADS Tech,and i have recorded ppv movies on the 522 then burn them to dvd on the fly very sucssesfully.dolby digital ac3.

Those that have "archived" movies to DVD:

How good is the quality of the DVD's and does an entire movie fit on 1 disc ?
It's not a true digital bit-for-bit copy, right ?

The closest you'll get to a true digital bit-for-bit copy would be with a sound card that has a optical digital audio input like ShadowEKU has, and a DVI capture device (which I know they make for DVI digital video cameras). I personally would love to do this, but it's more spending and my expenditures on this new sat hobby have been almost out of control lately.

And of course the 522 has no DVI so you'd need an 811 or whatever else has it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)