recording to dvd

c_pd

Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
I just bought a pioneer dvr-220, which is a dvd-r recorder. I hooked it up the rca outputs for TV2. I can view normal stuff ok and record. However once I start something that is recorded on the 522's harddrive I get horizontal color band. I couldn't find any postings on this. Is this copyright protection and if so is this something new? I have heard of people recording stuff from the harddrive before. Or is it just this model? I also tried connecting through the RF or cable input and had the same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm curious about this since I have been considering getting a DVD recorder. Let me get this straight... If you're watching live TV, the picture viewed on the DVD recorder through the input from the 522 is fine. But once you try to watch a recorded show you get a horizontal line? What about if you rewind then watch live TV, do you get the same effect?

I believe this is copy protection. In any case, this has been discussed many times in the forum before. Try searching for an existing thread.

^^ Care to point to one of those threads? I've done some extensive searching including the "Similar Threads" at the bottom of the page, and the what I saw doesn't show any problems recording from DVR to DVD.

I have my 522's TV1s 3 RCAs out hooked up to my Sony 500 (DVD burner/VCR unit) in, and this works fine. They actually come out of the 522 into the Sony and then back out of the Sony DVD/VCR into my Sony Receiver via the DVD-in and then to my TV. This way I can switch my receiver and see TV2 on Video 2 so I can watch TV(Sat) and record and be able to check up on my recording. The Sony 500 (basically the same as the 300) also does a settable coundown timer which I set for 30 minutes for a 30 minute show and 60 for a 60, etc. Then the DVD recording just stops basically when my Dish522DVR halts the playback. A minute or two of waste on a big dvd is no a big deal.

I record New Yankee Workshop, and various gold prospecting shows on DVD-R disks, I've done about 30 shows over the last week with no issues.

I have not done any movie copying, but my Sony book says it does prevent copy protected materials and should throw up a warning if you try to record them.

-John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)