Recording Voom HD Content

i was able to do it with the ati hdtv wonder card, but when i went to play it back a box popped up and said beacause of copy right something there will be no audio on playback. I viewed it on my hd set and the pq was awsome, but again there was no sound! i guess all the pay hd channels are like this, so im returning my hdtv card today, no sense in keeping it with no sound on playback!

bkushner said:
Is there any existing machine today capable of recording Voom's HD Content in HD?

Brian

You can try tracking down a JVC W-VHS deck which goes for $1,000 plus but it records over component and it does not record DD5.1 sound. Any capture cards that will work will cost in the thousands of dollars.

Not at this time No......... You can copy all the OTA programs you would like, But nothing over the the SATT... I and still am hopeing that the DVR will have a firewire so I can archive a program I want to a D-VHS... Or the new HD DVD that are going to be this summer.....

Dog6869 said:
Not at this time No......... You can copy all the OTA programs you would like, But nothing over the the SATT... I and still am hopeing that the DVR will have a firewire so I can archive a program I want to a D-VHS... Or the new HD DVD that are going to be this summer.....

I'm not sure if Voom has copy protection on DVI yet but I imagine they do. That keeps us evil consumers from copying the digital signal. But, because analog signals have no copy protection, if you have the component inputs on your Capture card you can record OTA and SAT HD content. Unfortunately I'm not aware of any consumer capture cards available that have component inputs because the industry doesn't trust us. There are ways around this if you don't mind the $$$ price tag and effort involved. You could get a HDTV 10-bit Analog to Digital Converter and convert your analog component signal to a HD-SDI digital signal. this signal could then be input into a capture card like a Kona HD 10 bit Capture Card. The audio would need to be captured separately. A setup like this on your G4/G5 Mac with Final Cut Express HD or Final Cut Pro HD would do the trick.

I'll just wait for the HDVR ;)

cidbozek said:
i was able to do it with the ati hdtv wonder card, but when i went to play it back a box popped up and said beacause of copy right something there will be no audio on playback. I viewed it on my hd set and the pq was awsome, but again there was no sound! i guess all the pay hd channels are like this, so im returning my hdtv card today, no sense in keeping it with no sound on playback!

No way, there isn't an ATI card available that will record Voom in HD. You can record Voom in SD and it looks pretty good but it is far from HD, I have done this using the svideo output on the Voom box..

--Dan

you are right, i also used the svideo to record it, when i said i did it i meant recorded a voom hd channel. not recorded in hd format, sorry for the confusion!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts