Recordings ending prematurely? Hopper 3

When you only had, say, 4 or 5 tuners PTAT would be a huge deal. Record all of what's on the big 4 networks and only use one tuner. With 16 tuners, that's not as big a deal.

For us, we didn't think Autohop would be much. But once we got used to starting a network program up and putting the remote aside for the entire show, we loved it. So for us it's more the Autohop feature.

I have also, in the past, liked it when someone would mention some network show we didn't have a timer for, and being able to go into the PTAT folder and find it and watch after it had already broadcast. It's good for trying out shows you don't currently follow.

However, for us, we set up timers for every show we watch regularly and pad them a bit (especially if they're on a network night when sports events have been on early in the day.) Not having the last minute or 30 seconds lopped off is worth just having PTAT on for Saturday night to keep Autohop active.

I guess my question is this; What is the allure of PTAT, other than autohop, which has been hobbled a bit anyway?
When I still had PTAT, I saw it as an easy way to have VOD of the network shows and local news (from the Fox affiliate) from the past week, so I could catch anything I missed watching when it first aired. I did not have an internet connection at home to stream anything at that time, so my PTAT folder got its fair share of use.

I never used PTAT, sop I never had this problem. I know there's no changing people's minds or habits in most cases, but PTAT befuddles me. For one thing, most of the shows on network TV are junk - my opinion - so I don't see a need to record every show on all 4 channels every night. I mean, the sitcoms aren't funny and the cop shows are the same show over and over. Regardless, I set timers for the shows i do want and so far, other than a very rare blip here and there (Rosanne ep. 5), no real problems. I guess my question is this; What is the allure of PTAT, other than autohop, which has been hobbled a bit anyway?
The main reason it was used as a selling feature when the original hopper came out and only had 3 tuners. PTAT will record all 4 big networks that most people have always watched and only use 1 tuner. It also featured auto skip to skip commercials ,but that has been worked into retransmission contracts that you will wait so many days from 3 to 7 before auto skip will apply on certain networks. Now with the hopper 3 there really is no reason to use it since you have 16 sat tuners and 2 ota tuners with the usb dongle. By the way, I did what someone listed here and turned on PTAT just for Saturday nights to see if I can get auto skip on any of my networks and so far only NBC from Houston and my ota ABC from Beaumont have applied auto skip on their shows. But I have Houston locals for satellite and they apply the longest wait in their channels. Cbs might as well not bother waiting or you would be a week behind on all their shows.

Reactions: charlesrshell
I never used PTAT, sop I never had this problem. I know there's no changing people's minds or habits in most cases, but PTAT befuddles me. For one thing, most of the shows on network TV are junk - my opinion - so I don't see a need to record every show on all 4 channels every night. I mean, the sitcoms aren't funny and the cop shows are the same show over and over. Regardless, I set timers for the shows i do want and so far, other than a very rare blip here and there (Rosanne ep. 5), no real problems. I guess my question is this; What is the allure of PTAT, other than autohop, which has been hobbled a bit anyway?
The main benefit of PTAT (and I'm pretty sure the reason they developed it) is you don't have to bother setting another timer for every reboot CBS pumps out :confused:

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)