Recover recordings after reformatting?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

CCTX

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 5, 2012
United States
My Hopper had the "Hard Drive Failure" message 760. It said all recordings have been lost and it needs to be reformatted. My daughter pressed OK and it seems it is working fine as a DVR. I did not have an external HD attached to the Hopper, is there anyway I can recover the lost recordings? A special software tool or something?

Thank you all!

Allowing the drive to reformat erases all data on the HD. Please let us know if it occurs again as the receiver should be replaced. Thanks.

My Hopper had the "Hard Drive Failure" message 760. It said all recordings have been lost and it needs to be reformatted. My daughter pressed OK and it seems it is working fine as a DVR. I did not have an external HD attached to the Hopper, is there anyway I can recover the lost recordings? A special software tool or something?

Thank you all!

I have external HDD's and move shows over to it SPECIFICALLY to guard against losing such content in the eventual event of an internal HDD failure. Often, but not always, your box will start to exhibit strange behavior for, perhaps days, before the complete failure. Having experienced a number of internal HDD failures over the years with lots of Dish DVR's (noting unusual, just par for the course with internal HDD's running for many years) I always make sure to transfer shows I haven't yet when the box is acting strange, most often getting warnings more than once in a very short period about having lost part of a recordings or trying to playback a show only to have the error message state that it can not playback and this occuring to other shows attempted to playback withing days of each other. Those are two of the biggest signs the HDD is near death. Just like people, all HDD's will DIE.

Reactions: bhawley
If one is willing to spend some serious cash, the programs may be mostly recoverable, but you are looking at hard drive forensics that will cost you $2000-3000.

It's only TV, get an EHD and be ready next time.

P.S. - EHD's can fail too. If you want data security, have it in at least 3 places, one of them off site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)