Red one behind the scenes

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
Well I was watching gamer and looked at the extras, an in there is a long discussion of the Red One 4k (4520 (h) x 2540 (v)) camera. Very interesting to watch!

It turns out Gamer was the first major motion picture shot with it. They included a 16 minute behind the scenes of the Red One camera.

RED / Cameras

If you are not familiar with the Red One Camera it is meant to replace 35mm film by shooting 24fps, not like a video camera, but 24 4k pictures. It is designed to take all the lenses one would use on a 35MM film camera.

They also only costs 17k (compared to a 250k for a 35mm).

I thought Gamer was the first major motion picture that was shot ENTIRELY on Red cameras. When RED first made it's debut at NAB 3 years ago, I saw it and they showed the first sneak preview of a major motion picture that used RED cameras but they only used RED for a portion of the production. Red has been used in a number of major pictures since but only for parts of the movie. It's image quality integrates seamlessly with film once film is converted to digital for the editing.

It really makes you want one to have fun with... But at 30k for a package (Camera 17k, Lens 6.5k, other accessories), I will have to wait until the price comes down more.

It is just the technology that is so interesting. Real 12 megapixel images like a still camera, shot 24 (or 30) times a second. Except for the lens, the ability should reach the consumer level of pricing in 5 years.

I don't think so.
Even if Che doesn't qualify by the "major motion picture" standard, "District 9" should.
And it was shot using 8 Red cameras (owned by P. Jackson) and released one month before Gamer (August vs. September 2009).

RED / Shot On Red

Diogen.

Because Gamer was not a good enough movie to secure a summer release date. Gamer was shot before District 9. Gamer principle photography was in 2007, District 9 was 2008. Also I believe (would have to watch it again) they used cameras #6 and #7 for the shoot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts