Red Sox acquire Paul Byrd

BillD1984

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
MA
HD MM,

just heard it confirmed on WEEI. Byrd is 4-0 with a 1.28 ERA in his last four starts. Great acquisition for the Sox! :)

BTW, the Tribe get a player to be named later.

HD MM,

just heard it confirmed on WEEI. Byrd is 4-0 with a 1.28 ERA in his last four starts. Great acquisition for the Sox! :)

Congratulations, Bill! You are getting one helluva man as well as a pitcher.

Boy, oh boy! The mood must just suck in Trbe Nation right about now, HD. Sorry.

Thanks, like I was saying to HD MM in the MLB thread, I've always like Byrd. The Sox were down to three quality starters (Beckett, Lester, and Matsuzaka) with Wakefield and Colon hurt, Buchholz stinking up the joint, and the recent move of super rookie Justin Masterson to the bullpen (to help shore up the middle/setup relief).

Looks like a good fit. The Sox are scheduled to start a rookie knuckleballer tonight.

For better or for worse, the Red Sox keep a couple of knuckleballers pitching in the minors so that they will have a replacement knuckleball catcher available if Varitek's back-up ever gets injured.

I've always gotten a kick out of his "old-fashioned" windup...

byrd.jpg

Byrd last pitched on Saturday, so I would assume he'll be making his Red Sox debut Friday night (Buchholz' slot) against Toronto.

With the desperation of their starting rotation, how in the world did the Yankees let a quality starter like Byrd slide to the Red Sox???

Last edited:
The Sox are scheduled to start a rookie knuckleballer tonight....

Zink debut v. Texas scoring tonight:

2nd C Davis singled to right, M Bradley and M Byrd scored. 2 10
5th J Hamilton singled to right, I Kinsler scored. 3 12
5th M Byrd doubled to deep center, J Hamilton scored, M Bradley to third. 4 12
5th F Catalanotto doubled to left center, M Bradley and M Byrd scored. 6 12
5th C Davis singled to left, F Catalanotto scored. 7 12
5th I Kinsler homered to left, G Laird and C Davis scored. 10 12

So much for the next great knuckleballer. Either he is going to set a record for the most runs ever given up by a starting pitcher in a winning, major league debut, or Texas is going to set a new all-time team mark for a comeback win. Stay tuned...

Last edited:
So much for the next great knuckleballer. Either he is going to set a record for the most runs ever given up by a starting pitcher in a winning, major league debut, or Texas is going to set a new all-time team mark for a comeback win. Stay tuned...
Update, middle of 6th:

Code:
TEX (61-58)  0 2 0 0 8 5    15 17  1  
BOS (68-51) 10 0 2 0 2      14 14  1

Last edited:
Final: Boston 19, Texas 17.

the Texas Rangers fought back from a 10-run first inning Tuesday night...

...(the) Rangers comeback... matched the greatest ever against Boston. The Red Sox also squandered a 10-run lead on June 4, 1989, against Toronto when they lost 13-11 in 12 innings after they led 10-0 through six.

Rangers starter Scott Feldman became the first major league pitcher in 90 years to allow 12 runs and not take the loss since Gene Packard of the St. Louis Cardinals got the win in a 16-12 victory over the Philadelphia Phillies on Aug. 3, 1918.

Last edited:

Not really. The Indians are in the midst of a 5 game win streak. It seems like the more players we trade away, the better this team responds for some reason.

An interesting stat: we're 6 games over .500 since we traded Sabathia! This season surely doesn't make a whole lot of sense, that's for sure.

As for Brydie, I was expecting it. I'm actually glad Shapiro got to trade off our 3 soon-to-be free agents in Sabathia, Blake and Byrd. Our season is over and to get something in return for them is a huge bonus for next year. Plus, there's no ruling out the posibility of making an offer to any of them this off-season.

HD MM,

Congrat's Bill and Red Sox Nation. You got yourself a great veteran pitcher and solid clubhouse guy. If he can continue the way he's been pitching for over a month now, Byrd will be a solid end-of the rotation guy for you. Outstanding pickup IMO.

Just a word of caution: when Byrd loses it, he loses it quick. I'm sure Francona will pick up on this, but you should have your bullpen ready by the 6th.

The Indians HAVE to hang on to Carmona. They can't keep up this firesale!

Carmona's locked up for years. They have no intention on moving him. Although he hasn't been quite the same since recently coming off the DL, we expect him to compete with Cliff Lee for the #1 starting spot next year.

And, like I mentioned a few posts above, this isn't a firesale. We're simply trading away players who are becoming free agents at the end of the year. Our season is over, so the least we can do is get something in return for them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)