Red Sox acquire Paul Byrd

Just a word of caution: when Byrd loses it, he loses it quick. I'm sure Francona will pick up on this, but you should have your bullpen ready by the 6th.

Ah, but there's the rub. The Sox middle relief is borderline AWFUL!! Masterson and Papelbon (and of course, he's the closer) are the only two Red Sox relievers I trust anymore.

Ah, but there's the rub. The Sox middle relief is borderline AWFUL!! Masterson and Papelbon (and of course, he's the closer) are the only two Red Sox relievers I trust anymore.

Well you guys will just have to give him some run support then, won't you? ;)

Byrd has made it past the 7th inning exactly once this season. Last game pitched for the Indians was a complete game.

Well you guys will just have to give him some run support then, won't you? ;)

Byrd has made it past the 7th inning exactly once this season. Last game pitched for the Indians was a complete game.

Is there any way you can ship Betancourt and/or Perez here? :D

Is there any way you can ship Betancourt and/or Perez here? :D

You don't want Betancourt with the way he's been pitching this year. Perez has been great though. Overall, I think our bullpen issues start with the lack of a closer. From there, no one knows their role and the closer issue seems to have had a negative trickle effect on everyone else who was so effective in last year's bullpen.

You don't want Betancourt with the way he's been pitching this year. Perez has been great though. Overall, I think our bullpen issues start with the lack of a closer. From there, no one knows their role and the closer issue seems to have had a negative trickle effect on everyone else who was so effective in last year's bullpen.

The Red Sox offered Joe Borowski a minor league contract last week. He must have turned it down because I haven't heard anything since.

Man, you guys are somethin' else. A guy who makes the Mitchell Report for HGH is "one helluva man". Say what you want about Manny, but he wasn't mentioned.

Byrd took the drug for a medical condition and claimed he never injected it without a doctor's prescription. Byrd has since said the medical condition was a tumor on his pituitary gland.

Byrd has been an outstanding person on & off the field and a was big contributor in the community here in Cleveland. He's also a man of faith and has spoken publicly often on this subject. Whatever his reasoning for taking the supplement, I tend to believe him.

Finally a smart move. I agree middle relief is what is killing us this year. Can he be used that way??

So you're a Red Sox fan today?

And no, I've never seen Byrd pitch relief. He's a starting pitcher. I'd imagine Byrd would take the spot for that "Zink" character that gave up 8 ER in 4 innings last night.

And no, I've never seen Byrd pitch relief. He's a starting pitcher. I'd imagine Byrd would take the spot for that "Zink" character that gave up 8 ER in 4 innings last night.

Actually Byrd is taking Buchholz's spot (Friday night) in the rotation. They'll have to plug someone else into the other slot (which will be up again on Sunday) until Wakefield and/or Colon come back.

Actually Byrd is taking Buchholz's spot (Friday night) in the rotation. They'll have to plug someone else into the other slot (which will be up again on Sunday) until Wakefield and/or Colon come back.

Makes sense, since Byrd was due to pitch tomorrow for the Indians.

BTW Bill, wasn't Beckett slated to pitch yesterday? Why was he scratched in favor of Zink?

BTW Bill, wasn't Beckett slated to pitch yesterday? Why was he scratched in favor of Zink?

Beckett pitched on Monday night in Chicago (he was very impressive in the 5-1 victory), so he's not due to pitch again until Saturday night. Zink took Wakefield's (15 day DL) spot last night. Right now the Sox rotation (starting with tonight's game) looks like this: Lester/Dice-K/Byrd/Beckett/???

Beckett pitched on Monday night in Chicago (he was very impressive in the 5-1 victory), so he's not due to pitch again until Saturday night. Zink took Wakefield's (15 day DL) spot last night. Right now the Sox rotation (starting with tonight's game) looks like this: Lester/Dice-K/Byrd/Beckett/???

Woops. I must've been reading Monday's paper yesterday.

:) Paul Byrd was just being interviewed on the NESN pregame show, and said his father's name is Larry Byrd. He said with a name like that, how can I not be loved in Boston. :up:up:up

:) Paul Byrd was just being interviewed on the NESN pregame show, and said his father's name is Larry Byrd. He said with a name like that, how can I not be loved in Boston. :up:up:up

Bill,

Are you luvin' this new look?

capt.5ee42943a7a947109b6d96b7709c36ad.rangers_red_sox_baseball_mamd101.jpg

KCK,
thanks for pic. After listening to Byrd on the pregame show....I love the guy already!!!

He is a man of God, a devoted family man, and an author of a book about dealing with his health issues and taking (legally) HGH. I don't recall all the details of it, but when his name popped up among the names last year, he stood right up and admitted to it, said MLB knew about it and stood tall and did not hide from any Clevelend press interviews.

Two words...CLASS ACT!

He is a man of God, a devoted family man, and an author of a book about dealing with his health issues and taking (legally) HGH. I don't recall all the details of it, but when his name popped up among the names last year, he stood right up and admitted to it, said MLB knew about it and stood tall and did not hide from any Clevelend press interviews.

Two words...CLASS ACT!

Yup, I got that from the interview alone. :up

Byrd took the drug for a medical condition and claimed he never injected it without a doctor's prescription. Byrd has since said the medical condition was a tumor on his pituitary gland.

Byrd has been an outstanding person on & off the field and a was big contributor in the community here in Cleveland. He's also a man of faith and has spoken publicly often on this subject. Whatever his reasoning for taking the supplement, I tend to believe him.

....and he's from my home state. :cool:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts