ReelzChannel To Debut On Dish In Fall

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
Hubbard Launches 24-hour Movie Channel

Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal - 11:05 PM CDT Sundayby Nicole Garrison-SprengerStaff Writer
Hubbard Broadcasting Inc. this fall will launch the ReelzChannel, a 24-hour television network about movies.

"It's a network that will be all about movies the way that the Food Network is all about food," said Stanley E. Hubbard II, vice president of Hubbard Broadcasting and chairman and CEO of the initiative.

The new channel will be available in roughly 28 million homes through agreements with Direct TV, Dish Network, Comcast, Time Warner, Charter and other cable or satellite providers.

Reelz Network will feature original entertainment programs and provide information and opinion on movies - from newly released theatrical films to DVD, Video-on-Demand, rental, and pay cable channels like HBO, Showtime and Starz.

The network will be based at Hubbard's St. Paul headquarters but content will be produced in Hollywood. By the end of the year, about 12 people dedicated to the Reelz Network will be working out of Hubbard's headquarters in St. Paul. Another 140 people will work for the company out of the Los Angeles office.

Reelz Network will be supported by a Web site, www.reelznetwork.com.

Programs under development include:

A daily talk program featuring stars, directors and producers;
A daily review/court show
A daily movie-trivia game show
A weekly debate program about movies
A biography series with unique points of view
The project is about six years in the making. Hubbard said his company started work on Reelz shortly after Hubbard Broadcasting sold its stake in United States Satellite Broadcasting to Hughes Electronics, now The DIRECTV Group, in 1999 for $1.25 billion.

Executives originally thought they would have to support part of the project with venture capital or private equity money. But Reelz attracted more distribution deals than originally anticipated, and the Hubbards decided to fund the endeavor themselves.

"The opportunity got bigger and bigger and the risk got lower and lower," Hubbard said.

Established in 1923 as an AM radio broadcaster in the Twin Cities, Hubbard Broadcasting has been a defining force in broadcasting. The company is credited with creating the first satellite news-gathering organization, called Conus Communications.

Family-owned Hubbard Broadcasting owns and operates 13 television stations in Minnesota, New York and New Mexico; two radio stations in Minnesota, and F & F Productions.

ngarrison@bizjournals.com | (612) 288-2112

http://twincities.bizjournals.com/twincities/stories/2006/06/12/daily1.html

Oh, someone's putting the E! channel back on the air? That's cool...

Honestly, the sh*t we pay for...Original programming TALKING about movies...Not SHOWING us movies, TALKING about movies we could be watching...amazing.

I'm going to launch a channel, called "Snotv", it's all about how snow falls. I'll have pictures, videos (In HD-Lite), special guest to talk about how to make snowballs, snow-angels, snow-people, etc...

Coming soon to Directv...

Agreed - But ya know, there are still those who will watch it, just like there are those who watch "Access Hollywood" and its clones. I hope we're not paying too much for this channel. Like 75% of the rest of the channels in my base package, I just don't care about it and won't lose any sleep over it...

Bring on affordable ala carte...

phonegunner said:
No... we need the 24 hr 365.25 days a year of the guy painting woodland scenes...

Something to snooze by ...

Actually that's something I would watch. Bob Ross is really soothing to me I just get real relaxed watching him paint

I actually use to paint with Bob Ross and his TV show.

In Boston I was lucky enough to have him as my teacher for his painting class, this was a few years before he died.

After taking my class with him I made what I felt was my best painting and never painted again after that. That painting now hangs over my fireplace.

Ahh happy little trees. Just the thought of it gets me releaxed. :)

Lucky said:
Hubbard Launches 24-hour Movie Channel

Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal - 11:05 PM CDT Sundayby Nicole Garrison-SprengerStaff Writer
Hubbard Broadcasting Inc. this fall will launch the ReelzChannel, a 24-hour television network about movies.

Wake me up in twenty years when tcm is available ala carte for one dollar, otherwise I'll just stick to watching entertainment tonight on my locals only package.

Geez, they finally got this thing done?

Wasn't this part of the USSB/DirecTV buyout YEARS ago? It was supposed to be called "Moviewatch" or something like that. It was part of the deal...DirecTV bought USSB, but had to agree to carry MovieWatch.

EDIT- Oops, it pretty much said that in the press release. That's what I get for skimming the headlines.

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I actually use to paint with Bob Ross and his TV show.

In Boston I was lucky enough to have him as my teacher for his painting class, this was a few years before he died.

After taking my class with him I made what I felt was my best painting and never painted again after that. That painting now hangs over my fireplace.

Ahh happy little trees. Just the thought of it gets me releaxed. :)

Bob Ross has been out there in the zeitgeist of late...I thought of him a month or so ago and spontaneously bought a t-shirt (follow the link below and look for the "Think like a Tree" t-shirt) from the bobross.com website. I remembered watching him w/ my grandma on sleepy afternoons. Chilllllll.

Then, a week or so ago, 'Attack of the Show' did a DaVinci Code parody (which you can get as a video podcast) called "the Bob Ross Code". Very funny.

Now this--you actually PAINTED w/ Bob Ross!!!! Crazy.

http://www.bobross.com/supplies.cfm#Q10

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)