Refurb 722

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Rangers484

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 21, 2007
Palmyra, Virginia, United States
My 722 hard drive crapped out and I was sent a 722 refurb after a lengthy chat session running through all of the usual diagnostics, unplug, check switch, etc.

The refurb came in 2 days via UPS. After going through connecting all of the cables and plugs I powered it up and the first screen stated there was a critical hard drive error. Called tech support and they immediately decided to send a tech out.

Spent the last 2 days with techs in my home to ultimately get the OK to replace the original unit and the refurb unit with a brand new unit.

Fired it up and it works perfectly.

Doesn't DISH check these things out? Does anyone ever get a good refurb?

I bought a refurb 501 that had a bad audio driver circuit (RCA phono jack output). Took me awhile to convince the tech over the phone that it really was bad, since the modulated RF audio was fine. But they replaced it with another refurb and that has been golden for years.

I also bought a refurb 625 and that has also been golden for years.

A few months ago I picked up a new 622 from a retailer who went out of business. I am 100% positive it was new (it was still shrink wrapped and had a RBEG... serial number). It may very well have been the last 'virgin' 622 in existence. To my dismay, it would not (or could not, who knows) activate, despite receiving several 'hits' over two days.

I was able to convince a TSR in the Philippines (who spoke decent English btw) to send out a replacement.

The performance of the refurb 622, so far, has been exemplary.

Actually, refurbs can be better than brand-new. 'Lest we forget some of the early MPEG2 HD DVR's that had weak HDMI connections to the board. Man, people were fighting for the refurbs that had the much beefier HDMI connections to the board.

You were a victim of the averages. When they replaced my original 721 that I bought brand new for the first time, the refurb box had to be RMA'd within a few days. Then the 2nd refurb arrived, and all was well for YEARS. Just luck.

Yes, Dish does check these things. They have massive centers for the STB's. It is really impressive, the people and equipment and process used to refurb an STB as good or BETTER than brand new. I think this one slipped through the cracks, and let's not forget that shippers DO handle, even fragile things, very roughly.

dish spends something like 11 hours testing the reman rcvrs before they send them out, how sure are you that there wasnt something environmental in your setup causing the failures?

dish spends something like 11 hours testing the reman rcvrs before they send them out, how sure are you that there wasnt something environmental in your setup causing the failures?

After all of the calls and 2 techs is boiled down to a bad refurb unit.

The orig VIP722 hard drive failed in the usual way, screen freezing, not responsive until it was rebooted and then error messages that there was a hard drive error.

Refurb 722 was powered up and displayed a critical hard driver error message out of the box.

The new unit powered up and worked perfectly out of the box.

I am running my set up through a power line conditioner. The 1st tech checked the voltage and it was ok. The 2nd tech checked the ground on the sat dish itself and it was ok. Plenty of air circulation around the 722.

As someone else suggested, maybe UPS dropped the box or maybe the refurb unit only went through 10 hours and not the whole 11 hours of testing...

Probably most people who have to get a receiver replaced, get a good one. Those are also the ones who don't run to an Internet forum to brag about it. :)

Luck of the draw I guess. I have a 622 for 4 years now and it has worked flawlessly to date. I had the 722 about 7 months when it died.

I hope the new 722 lasts as long as my 622 or else I will have that excuse i need to try out a 922 when they are released to the public.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts