Refurbing a BirdView

Status
Please reply by conversation.
You CAN'T take them out and maintain the proper declination. There really isnt a whole lot of pressure or weight on those bolts, in fact I'd feel comfortable with half of them missing. I have bolts and washers on every bolt on the bottom of mine and I didn't tighten the bolts beyond 1/8 turn after snug. Really, where is it going? Not down, not side to side, you would likely destroy the dish itself before the bolts break. It isn't a stressed part

That depends. If you use 4 washers on top and three on the bottom, you can have one on top and none on the bottom.

Anole I have been reading all post by Linuxman ( several times) and others on here as well. Great post!!! Very informative. Would have been easier if I had found this site ealier! As far as the scalier ring goes, I viced it and used a drill with a level built into it and used course honing stones to open the hole. Then used a set of fine stones to smooth it up. Now my wave guide slips into it with very little movement. For now it is back to reading and waiting for the skies to clear so i can mess with this dish some more.. Thanks for the imput!!

Well...... anyone with some on top and some on bottom .... really needs theirs examined

What he said was he put washers in there to get clearance for his inclinometer. In that situation, I don't think it is crazy to put washers in both top and bottom.

Of course, I'm insane myself, so how would I know whether anyone else is?

Thanks to the members and this forum and the many threads to read, I now have the BirdView tracking the arc on c band ( analog and digital) really really well. I am very impressed at all the info and hardwork that many of you did and documented it so well that a novice such as myself could get this dish working so well. Most of the signal quality is high 80's to 99. Again thanks to everyone for all the help!!:D:up

Is it possible to upgrade older Birdview dish

Hello, I am new to these forums. I am the original owner of a solid spun aluminum 8 or 8.5 foot birdview dish. I still have all the original components. I have not used this dish
for quite a number of years. The dish is in very good shape for its age. I stored all the components in dry storage. The receiver is the original C-Band, and a stand alone satellite positioner. I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade the receiver and LNB. I know there is a kit for the positioner to move the dish. From what I can remember from the past, birdview was very proprietary and the mount for the LNB was not adaptable
with other LNB's. Also I would be interested to find out if it is possible to upgrade to another receiver. My problem is that there is not much if at all detailed information
about these older dishes. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Do a search for Birdview. The exploits of Linuxman and a few privileged others will pretty much give exact details on refurbing these beautiful old dishes.

As Osu said above, the exploits of Linuxman and others tell the whole story in detail.
Here's the very short version:
- ream out the scalar to take a modern feedhorn or LNBF of your choice
- put a proper magnet wheel in the gear train to work with modern receivers
- realign the dish, taking care to get Ku-band on the money
- possibly run the H-H motor with a Gbox V3000 (see my signature for a link)
- connect a DVB receiver with blind scan to pick up modern digital signals

That list left out a lot, but bringing a Birdview back to service is not that hard.
The results are very rewarding.
I'm in the middle of it, myself.

- put a proper magnet wheel in the gear train to work with modern receivers

I think I'd try the Birdview positioner first, without doing the magnet modification. But I agree use it with a modern receiver. That old analog thing won't get hardly anything up there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)