Regional Sports Network HD

CubsWin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 17, 2005
Bourbonnais, IL
Has there been any talk of whether Dish will eventually carry select Regional Sports Network broadcasts in HD? I'm in the Chicago market and Comcast cable carries both Comcast Sports Net Chicago and WGN (which will be the Chicago CW station) in High Definition. My one big complaint about Dish's HD package is that I'm a huge sports fan and I can't get any of the Cubs/Sox/Bulls games on these channels in HD. Is there any hope for me in the near or not-so-near future?

CubsWin said:
Has there been any talk of whether Dish will eventually carry select Regional Sports Network broadcasts in HD? I'm in the Chicago market and Comcast cable carries both Comcast Sports Net Chicago and WGN (which will be the Chicago CW station) in High Definition. My one big complaint about Dish's HD package is that I'm a huge sports fan and I can't get any of the Cubs/Sox/Bulls games on these channels in HD. Is there any hope for me in the near or not-so-near future?

There's always hope but nothing wordly yet. I would suspect until the mpeg4 codecs get MUCH better mpeg4 sports is out of the question. The encoders are still not very efficient on the regular network programming. The movement on a sports program would drive the encoders bonkers I suspect.

Can anyone in an mpeg4 HD city chime in on HD sports that you've seen on your network channels?

It will eventually come, but they first need to free up a lot more bandwidth first. There are a couple of dozen RSNs which take up six times the bandwidth of their SD brethren in Mpeg2 (OK, less if you figure Mpeg4, I haven't heard the conversion rate yet).

It will eventually come when they start reclaiming old Mpeg2 bandwidth, but I'm guessing this will be at least 1-2 years before they have the capability of adding them.

They MAY move quicker if their subscriber adds stall and they can attribute it to Cable and Fios gaining the HD sports subscribers....

pdxsam said:
There's always hope but nothing wordly yet. I would suspect until the mpeg4 codecs get MUCH better mpeg4 sports is out of the question. The encoders are still not very efficient on the regular network programming. The movement on a sports program would drive the encoders bonkers I suspect.

Can anyone in an mpeg4 HD city chime in on HD sports that you've seen on your network channels?

Here in chicago, hd sports looks real good on mpg 4 programming and doesnt cause the encoders to go bonkers.. what I have noticed is the encoders go bonkers when ever they feel like it.. NBC looked pritty horrible lastnight, OTA was much better

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)