Regional sports networks

Whether or not one subs to the multisport pack is immaterial. If one resides within the territory of a team, those games when televised "should" be available. Now if FS Det is NOT part of your assigned RSN's , if you subbed ot the MSP, FS Det should be not blacking out the Tigers games.
I figure if a team claims your area as within its territorial boundaries, the team's RSN should be part of you local RSN's.
For example.
I reside in the territories of Braves, Nats, Reds and Orioles.
As such. FS South is a local RSN here.....Now The Reds are on FOX Cincy..That RSN is NOT part of the local RSN's here. However the games are assigned to the Sports Alt channels. I see them there.
And of course, MASN which carries the Nats and Orioles, for some reason is also a local RSN here. Weird....
I sub ot the MSP. So I can see the Reds on FS Cincy
I had a similar situation in the Beckley DMA (25801). The only assigned RSN was ROOT PIT. When I subbed to Multisport, I could also watch Reds games on FS Cincy.

I cannot answer that question. I can only guess that an error was occurring over at Directv that allowed the games to be in the clear.
Nah... Everyone in that area that has DirecTV gets the games. Everyone in that area that has dish or time Warner cable that has Fox Detroit, gets blacked out.

That zip code where you lived is in the same situation I've been discussing. DirecTV subscribers in 43450 DO Get the Tigers, along with Reds and Indians games. Dish Network subscribers do not, because they've chosen not to provide the same RSN coverage in that area DirecTV has. Again they are under NO obligation to do so, like DirecTV they have the choice. I'm guessing the same situation is true with Cable, the Cable Company doesn't want to pay the additional fees. So they don't air the games.

That zip code where you lived is in the same situation I've been discussing. DirecTV subscribers in 43450 DO Get the Tigers, along with Reds and Indians games. Dish Network subscribers do not, because they've chosen not to provide the same RSN coverage in that area DirecTV has. Again they are under NO obligation to do so, like DirecTV they have the choice. I'm guessing the same situation is true with Cable, the Cable Company doesn't want to pay the additional fees. So they don't air the games.
Yeah I figured it all came down to money, but I doubt they'd ever admit that..

Yeah I figured it all came down to money, but I doubt they'd ever admit that..

Thats not true ...

The situation your describing I had with D* a few years back as my zip was in the outskirts of Toledo, but Toledo was availble, I had to contact the RSN FSD and have them contact D* to put it in the Database, and they did.
I think it happened when they updated the database.

That said, it's the Teams that OK the area that is covered by them for the particular service.

Appearantly the Tigers did not OK DISH to carry the Tigers that far south, but they did for D*.

You can call Fox Sport Detroit and talk with either the engineer or the progrmming manager and they may be able to get you started in the right direction to getting it OK'd.

In my case, the Tigers were already OK's, but the zip code got left out of the surrounding markets for Toledo.

Thats not true ...

The situation your describing I had with D* a few years back as my zip was in the outskirts of Toledo, but Toledo was availble, I had to contact the RSN FSD and have them contact D* to put it in the Database, and they did.
I think it happened when they updated the database.

That said, it's the Teams that OK the area that is covered by them for the particular service.

Appearantly the Tigers did not OK DISH to carry the Tigers that far south, but they did for D*.

You can call Fox Sport Detroit and talk with either the engineer or the progrmming manager and they may be able to get you started in the right direction to getting it OK'd.

In my case, the Tigers were already OK's, but the zip code got left out of the surrounding markets for Toledo.
Wow. Its starting to make sense. I know there's nothing I can really do about it, especially now that I live in Wisconsin. I just think it's strange that all the providers don't broadcast the games. Thanks for all the responses...

Reactions: slocoma
A very small cable provider owner that runs the system serving our lake community told me how their contract is. We are only in FSN Midwest coverage area for Cards games. They chose to pay just for those games, otherwise they could have declined as they are not in FSN Midwest's area and normally did not carry any other FSN Midwest programming. The Royals coverage worked the same way and they chose not to carry the Royals games.
Not a big Royals fan but it makes sense that Cox/Suddenlink doesnt air Royals games when Cardinals play at the same time.(Due to only 1 Alt CH.) Thank God I have DISH!

Does MLB have blackout rules if a team cant sell out its stadium?
See, THAT'S what dish told me way back when I first signed up with them in Ohio and they were all blacked out. I knew everyone with DirecTV got the games, so I called dish. They said that because the game wasn't sold out, and I lived close enough to the stadium, the TEAM blacked me out because they figured I should just drive up there and watch it in person. I had a real hard time believing that, but that's what they said.

There are no blackouts, at least as far out as he is.. and it isn't because Dish Network doesn't have the zip codes right in his case, though that does seem to happen more with Dish than DirecTV. It's just a good old money dispute... it happened to me in my area with both the Bobcats and Braves as previously mentioned. Both issues I think have now been worked out, but folks on cable still don't even get what we get on DirecTV. Is it fair? Nope, but that is the way it is.

The Northern part of Wisconsin is claimed by the Tigers as territory, but I've done some quick zip code searching and can't find a zip code in that region where Dish offers FS Detroit in that market. You might have listed it before, but what is your current zip code in Wisconsin? It might be possible for you to "move" to get FS Detroit? You would end up with different locals though. Dish does have bigger spot beams than DirecTV, so it might be possible.

I tend to not watch the overpaid professional sports. I am more interested in college sports . The blackout rules for college sports are also terrible. The rules are geographic based . So you get the teams in your state. However, college sports are conference based. So, if you are interested in the Big 12 conference and live in Oklahoma , you are blacked out of all games that are not Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. That is why Conferences( Pac 12, Big 10, SEC ) have started their own Channels. These conference channels allows you to see all teams in the conference. The Big 12 was too stupid to get their own channels and got beat out by Texas with the Longhorn Network. A major reason why Missouri , Texas A&M, and Colorado left the conference.

I must live in a great area. I rarely have issues with blackouts. It also helps that my favorite teams are all regional teams.

You do. In Florida I get 2 RSNs, FS Florida and Sun Sports, though a lot of the time the Miami teams are blacked out. In PA where I really care about, only ROOT PIT and BTN.

I tend to not watch the overpaid professional sports. I am more interested in college sports . The blackout rules for college sports are also terrible. The rules are geographic based . So you get the teams in your state. However, college sports are conference based. So, if you are interested in the Big 12 conference and live in Oklahoma , you are blacked out of all games that are not Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. That is why Conferences( Pac 12, Big 10, SEC ) have started their own Channels. These conference channels allows you to see all teams in the conference. The Big 12 was too stupid to get their own channels and got beat out by Texas with the Longhorn Network. A major reason why Missouri , Texas A&M, and Colorado left the conference.

Not sure where you are watching, I am in BA on Dish and I get all Big 12 games regardless if they are OU or OSU. I've yet to see a blackout of any Big 12 games

Edit: All Big 12 games are on Fox, FS1, ABC, ESPN or if not picked up for those they go to the RSN and are available to all Big 12 states.

The majority of professional spots are blacked out while outside of the teams market, even with the Multi Sport Pack
Shouldn't it be the opposite of this? Blackouts should only impact those within the home team's market area, not outside of it. The goal isn't to deny distant fans access, it is to "encourage" nearby fans to attend the game rather than watching it on TV.

Looks like we are screwed again tonight. Cards game blacked out on MLBnet and no HD feed on the ALT, yet we will have the Royals and Rangers HD games. Even more annoying is the Rangers game is also available OTA on a local channel and the RSN feed is not blacked out.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts