Regional sports networks

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Remember the good 'ol days (2012) when Fox would black out every single game on Saturday during their broadcast of their Saturday game? Fun times.

There are no blackouts, at least as far out as he is.. and it isn't because Dish Network doesn't have the zip codes right in his case, though that does seem to happen more with Dish than DirecTV. It's just a good old money dispute... it happened to me in my area with both the Bobcats and Braves as previously mentioned. Both issues I think have now been worked out, but folks on cable still don't even get what we get on DirecTV. Is it fair? Nope, but that is the way it is.

The Northern part of Wisconsin is claimed by the Tigers as territory, but I've done some quick zip code searching and can't find a zip code in that region where Dish offers FS Detroit in that market. You might have listed it before, but what is your current zip code in Wisconsin? It might be possible for you to "move" to get FS Detroit? You would end up with different locals though. Dish does have bigger spot beams than DirecTV, so it might be possible.
Current zip is 53589

I tend to not watch the overpaid professional sports. I am more interested in college sports . The blackout rules for college sports are also terrible. The rules are geographic based . So you get the teams in your state. However, college sports are conference based. So, if you are interested in the Big 12 conference and live in Oklahoma , you are blacked out of all games that are not Oklahoma or Oklahoma State. That is why Conferences( Pac 12, Big 10, SEC ) have started their own Channels. These conference channels allows you to see all teams in the conference. The Big 12 was too stupid to get their own channels and got beat out by Texas with the Longhorn Network. A major reason why Missouri , Texas A&M, and Colorado left the conference.
Well, I couldn't care less about the tigers, as long as I get to see EVERY buckeye game up here in badger country. I checked the schedule, the badgers and bucks don't play each other in football until 2017! Stupid Rutgers and Maryland..

Not sure where you are watching, I am in BA on Dish and I get all Big 12 games regardless if they are OU or OSU. I've yet to see a blackout of any Big 12 games

Edit: All Big 12 games are on Fox, FS1, ABC, ESPN or if not picked up for those they go to the RSN and are available to all Big 12 states.
Sorry , you are right the Regional sports networks do show the Big 12 games. It is ESPN , especially during March Madness , who blacks out conference games out of state. It also blacks out of state conference football games in the ESPN Alternative stations.

Looks like we are screwed again tonight. Cards game blacked out on MLBnet and no HD feed on the ALT, yet we will have the Royals and Rangers HD games. Even more annoying is the Rangers game is also available OTA on a local channel and the RSN feed is not blacked out.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
And we Add yet another game being broadcasted in HD to MSP subs in the regional area but those who are NOT MSP subs in same area do not recieve the game in HD on an alt channel just an SD version....Yuck! Zipcode 74074 Team St. Louis Cardinals!

But that still doesn't explain, and I'm still not
But that still doesn't explain, and I'm still not getting an answer to WHY IS IT THAT AT THE SAME ADDRESS, DIRECTV TELEVISED THE TIGERS, AND DISH BLACKED IT OUT? Again, same address, same channel, different providers. That tells me that DirecTV has (exclusive?) rights to televise the game, and Dish does not. And here's more; time Warner cable is the provider at that same address, and they won't show it either. Just doesn't make sense. That's kinda why I don't buy it that it just comes down to a "coverage map", or that team has "claimed that area"...or whatever

I know this is an old article, but it explains how customers of 1 company can be getting fewer of a teams games than another in the same area because of what the carrier is willing to pay for the rights to carry the games. Where you were in Ohio, FSN Ohio was the primary RSN so the cost to carry 2 rsn's is something that Dish is willing to pay for.

http://stlcardinals.scout.com/story/1161345-at-t-u-verse-fox-midwest-dispute-unresolved

Shouldn't it be the opposite of this? Blackouts should only impact those within the home team's market area, not outside of it. The goal isn't to deny distant fans access, it is to "encourage" nearby fans to attend the game rather than watching it on TV.

As of now the only league that blacks out games to locals due to a non-sellout is the NFL.

All pro sports leagues black out games to those outside their territory because they want you to purchase their out-of-market package (NFL Sunday Ticket, MLB Extra Innings, NHL Center Ice, NBA League Pass).

The real bugger is when a carrier like Dish doesn't pay to carry a team (say the Yankees) or don't pay the extra to carry a team in the further reaches of their territory (Tigers in NW Ohio). Fans in those areas can't watch their team on the local RSN (because Dish didn't pay) OR on the out-of-market package (since they aren't out-of-market). For example I have no way to watch the Phillies in suburban Philadelphia since Dish can't get Comcast-Philly and the MLB.tv streaming package blocks Phillies games in my area; the only games I can see are Fox Saturday games, ESPN Sunday Night games, and the rare game on local broadcast TV. Most Dodgers fans in California are in a similar bind right now.

At least you have an RSN that provides some content, even if it isn't what you prefer. I am in Rochester NY DMA, my RSN is suppose to be MSG/MSG+. Dish has had a contract dispute with them since 2010, I get nada!!
I subscribe to the Multisports package so I do get broadcasts on the special networks (MLB, NHL, ect) but no regional telecast unless my locals carry them. I thought Dish would at least enable an adjacent RSN to replace MSG but so far nothing. I even could learn to like the Indians or Pirates if given the chance.

It's amazing that just next door in Buffalo, they do get Root Sports Pittsburgh.

See, THAT'S what dish told me way back when I first signed up with them in Ohio and they were all blacked out. I knew everyone with DirecTV got the games, so I called dish. They said that because the game wasn't sold out, and I lived close enough to the stadium, the TEAM blacked me out because they figured I should just drive up there and watch it in person. I had a real hard time believing that, but that's what they said.
That is total BS....If there were sell out rules for MLB games, 90% of them would not be on tv

I heard on DBSTalk that Dish pulled CSN New England (Celtics RSN) on Wednesday morning, as the contract extension expired this month.
That is correct.
Looking at the history of Dish regarding RSN's being removed from the lineup due to contract pissing matches, once an RSN Leaves Dish it does not come back

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts