Reliability issues with 722k?

CorpITGuy

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2008
Little Rock DMA
I came back to Dish this Fall after several years with DirecTV. Aside from the comparably terrible GUI and PQ that seems slightly less high, I'm relatively happy. I'm saving about $50 per month, which is good since I'm trying to raise two kids at the moment.

I am, however, very disappointed in my DVR. I've had the following things happen over the last six weeks:

1. On one occasion, the DVR restarted itself and lost all of my recordings.
2. On two occasions, the DVR lost its signal and had to be hard-rebooted.
3. On two occasions, programs were nearly unwatchable due to pixelation, though my signal strength was fine.
4. On one occasion, all programming except basic programming was lost. A hard reboot fixed the problem.
5. On two occasions, recordings were inexplicably cut several minutes short, rendering the recording useless.

I'm now paying for a Hulu subscription to make up for all the stuff I'm missing.

So, here is my question: Is the 722k buggy and unreliable or do I have a bad unit that needs replacement?

I have had 1 issue on one of three 722k's, recording issue witch I believe to be the HD now. You may have multiple issues based on description. Could be a bad unit/receiver. Bad cabling. Overheating. Bad ground. Also check under HD setup and make sure it is set to either 720P or 1080i if it's set to 480 that would account for the poor quality in picture. I would ask for a new receiver, or if you have the protection plan have a tech visit. JMO.Good luck. :)

Funny thing is it seems some people have nothing but bad luck, bad picture, bad equipment. poor service and so on. There are plenty of treads here about 722 issues. But not all would or do affect you. And a lot of the comments are in my option, picky so some reading to get a full picture/ little pun there. Is or may be required. Peace..

Do you have your receiver in a WELL ventilated area, not on top of or beneath any other equipment?? With the exception of slow guide on SOME 722Ks, they are pretty much the workhorse of the Dish fleet.

It doesn't have the best ventilation, though it is better than any of my previous receivers. It has a BD player on top but nothing to the side for several inches and it doesn't feel warm when I stick my hand back there.

It doesn't have the best ventilation, though it is better than any of my previous receivers. It has a BD player on top but nothing to the side for several inches and it doesn't feel warm when I stick my hand back there.
Well, these receivers run hot to begin with, so I'm going to guess that your problem is over-heating. Get the Blu-ray off of it, get it more in the open or at least get a USB fan to pull heat out from under it. It might be too late to save this one.

I just checked the temperature. It is 71 degrees in the room and just 78 behind the unit in the hottest spot. I hope that isn't causing problems, but I can't imagine that it is.

I'll monitor the temperature closely and see.

My server rack sits at 78 and I've gone 7 or 8 years without a HDD failure. If that is causing issues with this machine, they're using the worst disk vendor in the universe. But I do appreciate your help, and I'll consider a USB fan for the replacement unit.

Have you checked the H-L-A operating temps?? Mine are 123, 107, 116....completely out in the open.
Menu, System Setup, Diagnostics, Counters...page down to HDD info.

My server rack sits at 78 and I've gone 7 or 8 years without a HDD failure. If that is causing issues with this machine, they're using the worst disk vendor in the universe. But I do appreciate your help, and I'll consider a USB fan for the replacement unit.

78 isn't really all that hot for computer systems. Sure, if the system was overclocked then the fans would need to be sped up a tad, but on 98% of computer systems with adequate internal cooling, there is no issue with 78 degrees, as long as internal/external airflow is not restricted. HDDs also are fine up until about 140 degrees (not the room, but the HDD itself.) HDDs actually last LONGER when ran warmer as long as their temp is not above 140.

All that being said, sounds to me like you have a bad unit. PM one of the DIRT members to get a replacement.

It isn't the ambient temperature of the room that is of concern it is tha internal temperature of the 722. Follow KAB's instruction to check the internal temperature it won't be 78deg.

A glitch in the power supply for the fan in our 722k caused some strange reactions including picture issues and even shutting down due to overheating. Being unable to source the power problem, I wired the fan to a good 12V internal source through a resistor to keep the fan noise at an acceptable level. The receiver has worked fine ever since.

I had a 722k for about one year before it failed to boot last week. DISH is sending a replacement (no doubt a refurbished unit) due sometime today. My 722k receiver had worked very well for the, approximately one year I had it. No major complaints except for CC occasionally going away as it did on the five 722 receivers I had previously. Yes, you read that correctly, FIVE units which were either DOA or failed usually immediately within a week of installing. I absolutely loved my 722k other than the aforementioned CC problems but I cannot say much for the DISH 722 refurbished units! I just hope my replacement unit actually works when it arrives today but previous experience tells me that is a slim hope! Bottom line, I love the 722 series, I just wish they were a bit more reliable! Hopefully my experience was unique, but what are the odds that one customer would get that many faulty units if problems did not exist? For those who might be wondering if something is unique or wrong with my home setup well, DISH wondered too so they sent service people out three times, including a follow up, to make sure there was nothing else causing these multiple early failures. NO problems were found so that leaves only the equipment as the problem.
Good luck!
Richard

You do realize all 722 and 722K will be refurbished units. From the number of posts it looks like the consumer is the one doing the tests, if it powers up DISH is sending it out and hoping it works.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts