relocate dish position

hphsu

Original poster
Jan 21, 2005
My HOA had new regulation for dish installation and want us to move the installed dish to higher position of roof. I called dish network and they told me that I need to pay 100 for this dish move. Since I don't have any commitment and I am thinking of cancel the service and go with directtv or comcast. I think I will only missed my DVR 510 if I cancel the dish.(I can still get the programming I like from comcast or directtv)

I think dish network is sending away customer by charging the fee for the dish move. Anyone had similar experience like this and be able to have them relocate the dish without charge?

The only way Dish MIGHT give you a free re-install is if the dish was mounted in such a way that it no longer receives signal (ie too close to a tree that grew over the years) If the reason for the move is that your HOA suddenly decided they want it higher up on the roof, your (or maybe it HOA ??) will have to pay for it. You could also try calling a local dealer and see if they would do it for cheaper.

Get DHPP put on your account. Then the service call will only be $29. Monthly fee for DHPP is $5.99 and you should be able to cancel it after you get your service call taken care of. If you're wondering why DBS companies charge for service calls vs. cable companies that don't, it's because cable companies bill you a "reduced" maintenance fee in your programming fees. DBS companies strip that charge out and give you lower monthly programming fees. Your mileage may vary because in some places cable can be cheaper and charge for service calls. I'm giving example to the DC metro area where Comcast is more expensive but yet don't charge for service calls if you have the maintenance fee on your acct.

"I think dish network is sending away customer by charging the fee for the dish move. Anyone had similar experience like this and be able to have them relocate the dish without charge?"
I know it would be nice if E* would do it for free, but this is your problem, not E*. That's how they look at it: your service is fine, so they don't want to spend money to move a dish on a "whim". Unfortunately, this "whim" is a HOA getting nosey. First, I'm no expert on HOA's, but could you be grandfathered in or can a HOA impose any new rule without any recourse? Second, try to get the HOA to pay. Third, bite the bullet or switch. It's simple.

Well first off I'm not one for HOA's anyways but thats a different subject :) .
But I would think that you should be Grandfathered in since they allowed it in the first place. Also if its mounted on the roof already I wouldn't move it because thats just going to cause problems down the road or make that spot not look to good once removed.
And I dont think any Satellite company would move it for free, not just Dish.

hoa

I think this is clearly illegal. Check with the FCC but no HOA is supposed to do anything that would cause economic impact. I would ask hoa to pay if they refuse advise them you are going to appeal to FCC before you do anything. They have to hold off on doing anything while an appeal is pending.

why do they want it higher? wouldn't this than be more exposed for your neighbor's to see and apparently complain? First off a HOA association cannot restrict the placement of any dish under 1 meter on personal property unless, it is a historical building, may be a hazard to common space, etc. Tell the HOA you are contacting the FCC because they have no right to do this. Second of all, you agreed to the placement of the dish, why do you think they should move it for free, your system works fine are you upset with the location? All companies, be it local or one of the big boys will charge to move the dish. and by all means go to FCC.gov and look up your rights and than take those to your HOA and tell them they are wrong.And last but not least, this regulation is clearly illegal and will never hold up in court, it is in clear violation of the FCC

Dish Dude said:
why do they want it higher? wouldn't this than be more exposed for your neighbor's to see and apparently complain? First off a HOA association cannot restrict the placement of any dish under 1 meter on personal property unless, it is a historical building, may be a hazard to common space, etc. Tell the HOA you are contacting the FCC because they have no right to do this. Second of all, you agreed to the placement of the dish, why do you think they should move it for free, your system works fine are you upset with the location? All companies, be it local or one of the big boys will charge to move the dish. and by all means go to FCC.gov and look up your rights and than take those to your HOA and tell them they are wrong.And last but not least, this regulation is clearly illegal and will never hold up in court, it is in clear violation of the FCC

He is right the HOA cannot tell you were to put your dish if it is your property.

Read this from
http://www.ccfj.net/FCClaw.htm

The new rule prohibits restrictions that impair the installation, maintenance or use of antennas used to receive video programming. These antennas include DBS satellite dishes that are less than one meter (39") in diameter (larger in Alaska), TV antennas, and antennas used to receive MMDS. The rule prohibits most restrictions that: (1) unreasonably delay or prevent installation, maintenance or use, (2) unreasonably increase the cost of installation, maintenance or use, or (3) preclude reception of an acceptable quality signal. This rule means that, in most circumstances, viewers will be able to install, use and maintain an antenna on their property if they directly own the property on which the antenna will be located.

Q: What is an unreasonable additional cost to install, maintain or use an antenna?

A: Any requirement to pay a fee to the local authority in order to be allowed to install an antenna would be unreasonable, unless it is a permit fee that is needed to serve safety or historic preservation or a permit is required in the case of installation on a mast greater than 12 feet. Things to consider in determining the reasonableness of any costs imposed include: the cost of the equipment and services, whether there are similar requirements for other similar installations like air conditioning units or trash receptacles, and what visual impact the antenna has on the surroundings. Restrictions cannot require that relatively unobtrusive DBS antennas be screened by expensive landscaping. A requirement to paint an antenna in a fashion that will not interfere with reception so that it blends into the background against which it is mounted would likely be acceptable. In general, the costs imposed by local regulations cannot be unreasonable in light of the cost of the equipment or services and the visual impact of the antenna.

They just want you to move it so that it's too high for you to brush the snow off, and then you'll get pissed and switch to cable. :cool:

Anyway, the guys above are right - tell the HOA you're going to get a spare dish mast, and mount THEM higher on the roof. :D

Tate Satellites said:
He is right the HOA cannot tell you were to put your dish if it is your property.
Incorrect. They can't tell you where to put it if it impacts signal strength or causes additional expense. They can however request, or even require if it doesn't cost extra, to place the dish in an inconspicuous spot. For instance, on the back side of a house, on the back edge of the property, etc. If you put it in the front yard just to piss them off when it could have just as easily put it in the back for the same cost, they can require you to move it.

HOA can have new guideline for the dish, that's okay.
But the probem is they want to enforce the existing dish to follow
the new guideline. I am okay to relocate the dish, but should HOA or
me pay the expense of relocation??

Is there any law which clearly state this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts