Relocating a box

bczar

Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
chicago
Hi all,

I have a VIP722K dvr that is currently being used in my loft. I just purchased a new Samsung LCD for my family room and want to move the box downstairs for the new tv. There was an old Dish HD box (622?) used down there about six months ago. I called Dish to see if relocating the box to my family room and having it unplugged for a minute would cause me to have to run some sort of setup that I am not familiar with like when the tech came and installed the previous box. The Dish rep tells me that if I unplug the box I need another tech to come to my house and they are going to charge me $95. Really? I can't unplug the box and move it to a room that had an HD box six months ago? Is there any truth to this?

Am I able to unplug my box and run it downstairs and plug it back in without needing to have a tech come out? It seems like I was being taken advantage of. Both cables are 75 hrtz so that can't be the reason.

Also, what is the best route to get the QAM tuner to pick up some channels legally? This whole situation with relocating the box in my loft came about because Dish says me requesting another box I am willing to pay for is considered an upgrade and I already upgraded my DVR box in January. Only one upgrade per 12 months. Once again, Really? Asking for an additional box is considered an upgrade? I have no problem being charged for it but they won't give it to me.

Thanks in advance.

QAM is not tunable on your DISH receiver. You can move the receiver but if the coax that was in use 6 mo. ago is no longer connected to the dish/LNB it won't work, If the upgrade was replacing the 622 with the 722 at a new location the odds are strong that the coax is no longer connected. You have the option of adding the service plan and lowering the cost of the service call.

Unplug and move, no problem. You have to hook your cable company's coax to your tv to get anything QAM.

The receiver will reboot, same as doing a hard reboot.
Seemingly a terrible answer. lol

1) The 722k only has an ATSC tuner, not cable.

2) When they installed his 722kk in its present location you think they left the coa:mad:es) to the old location connected to the dish and "live?"

Are you trying to swap locations between tv1 and tv2?

If the answer to that question was YES. It's an easy swap.

Behind your receiver you'll find a Diplexer UHF/VHF SAT AND IN/OUT usually blue/red made by Holland or ASKA (depending on your state/area). Take the receiver with you, swap uhf/vhf and in/out on the outside diplexer. it reroutes tv2 to the loft tv1 to the downstairs room.

AGAIN: This ONLY WORKS if you're trying to move tv1 to a tv2 room.

Seemingly a terrible answer. lol

1) The 722k only has an ATSC tuner, not cable.
Correct. If you read my reply, you'll notice that I said that QAM had to be connected directly to his TV, although I could have added that the TV must have a QAM tuner, and an existing cable from his local cable company.

2) When they installed his 722kk in its present location you think they left the coa:mad:es) to the old location connected to the dish and "live?"
A fair question. Maybe it was silly of me to assume that the OP knew that the old coax must be connected to his existing LNB's.

Correct. If you read my reply, you'll notice that I said that QAM had to be connected directly to his TV, although I could have added that the TV must have a QAM tuner, and an existing cable from his local cable company.
I apologize!

Suggestion

Just try it. Unplugging the box does nothing. If so a power outage would require a service call? Also if you have one box I would guess the tech just added a box and a line not disconnecting a line. If the actual dish was not replaced you should be good to go. JMO:)

Personally I would simply contact a local installer and ask his price to do this for you so as to prevent any problems. If I understand what you want it should be no more than $50 -$65.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)