Remote Access issues again

JeffMo

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 22, 2010
Missouri
After a year of flawless performance now I cannot access anything using the NOW, TODAY and LATER tabs with any of the filters (Everything, TV Shows, Movies, Radio, Sports). Programming and filters appear fine in the grid but not using any of the other tabs--just a blank page where the programming should appear. I have access to the DVR and can schedule recordings via the Grid. I reported this several days ago with no fix. Anyone else having this problem?

It must be a problem with my account on dish4.sling.com. I'll give them a couple of days until I call again.

try changing the server you're connected to manually ... after you login, try changing the URL to dish7.sling.com or dish8.sling.com ... see if it keeps you connected... and if so.. see if the tab data changes.

another thing, just by default, is to try clearing your browser's cache, your flash player's cache, and reboot. I only add the reboot in there, because sometimes IE doesn't flush well, and dns cache in IE doesn't clear with any other cache.

Which repeatedly saying IE.. try using Firefox .... or if you're using firefox.. switch to IE and see if the problem duplicates (along with the sling server you're connecting). If the problem is the same then it suggests server side issues, or some global problem on your side (firewall / plugin configs etc). You did install your updates from Adobe for flash recently right? If not.. get those too!

Mine isn't working either. It always seems to be a little hit or miss. In my 722k is says that it has connectivity, but if I try and do a "web activation" it fails. The url for my access is

Code:
http://dish2.sling.com/index.php

Mine isn't working either. It always seems to be a little hit or miss. In my 722k is says that it has connectivity, but if I try and do a "web activation" it fails. The url for my access is

Code:
http://dish2.sling.com/index.php
Have you tried switching to a different server after logging in? does it let you and does it give you access?

When I enter in a different server (such as dish7) it automatically goes back to dish2. Perhaps the server is tied to my login?

When I enter in a different server (such as dish7) it automatically goes back to dish2. Perhaps the server is tied to my login?
hmmm another way to trick it .. add a hosts entry for dish2.sling.com ... pointing it to 70.42.244.156 (ip of dish6.sling.com) and see if that works ... I'll try later today to edit mine and see if it works in getting me connected with a different server ... though I'm having no problems currently (other than sort order, and grouping of events, but at least the events are there).

hmmm another way to trick it .. add a hosts entry for dish2.sling.com ... pointing it to 70.42.244.156 (ip of dish6.sling.com) and see if that works ... I'll try later today to edit mine and see if it works in getting me connected with a different server ... though I'm having no problems currently (other than sort order, and grouping of events, but at least the events are there).

I plugged that in and I went automatically to dish2.sling.com....... I also got right in as well and was able to manipulate my DVR.

I plugged that in and I went automatically to dish2.sling.com....... I also got right in as well and was able to manipulate my DVR.
by plugging it in.. you mean you edited your hosts file? note that you were already going to dish2 and not having the problem ...

"pointing it to 70.42.244.156 (ip of dish6.sling.com) and see if that works "

I tried that and it went directly to dish2.sling.com......

"pointing it to 70.42.244.156 (ip of dish6.sling.com) and see if that works "

I tried that and it went directly to dish2.sling.com......
AH.. ok..

Just to cover for anyone that doesn't know ...

... The Hosts file on a PC (*nix too) can contain entries to map IP addresses to Host names. Normally you don't want to manually edit this, because DNS (Name resolution) takes care of converting the www.whatever _dot_ com in to the IP addresses that computers use.

When you manually edit the hosts file .. you'd have something like this:
Code:
70.42.244.156     dish1.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish2.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish3.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish4.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish5.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish6.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish7.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish8.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish9.sling.com
70.42.244.156     dish10.sling.com

So ... when your browser goes to ask for "dish2" .... the DNS is skipped over, for the entry there in the hosts file ... in this case that IP address is what I get for dish6 ...

The whole point of doing this is to try to see if
  1. logins cross servers
  2. force a specific server to be used
  3. see if said server is able to render content properly, while another does not
Note that once you edit your hosts file, to make sure all is right with the browser, reboot the PC .. while they *should* be consulting this file, browsers tend to cache their own DNS entries, and until the browser's DNS cache dies, it might not attempt to grab from the hosts file.

Also note.. that while the Hosts file has the entries in such a form ... if you normally login and see http://dish2 ... you *will still see* dish2 as the URL ... its just that behind the words ... DNS should be mapping the IP address that's in your HOSTS file..

To see if you are in fact making a connection to that IP .. you would open a command prompt and type:
netstat -an
and look for an IP address under the "Foreign Address" column of the one above (.156)

Anyone modifying your Hosts file should remember to back up a copy, and if you use tools like Spybot to fill your hosts file with entries to bad websites ... you definitely want to back up the file...

(note in Spybot's case, it creates address mappings as this: 127.0.0.1 some_bad_site dot com)

Personally I'm setting up to test now...

So .... if someone else wants to test .... my normal server is dish8 .. hence my above "code" to force dish1 ~ dish10 to an ip not associated with dish8.

I initially did the IP address of Dish2 ... so that I could see if any problems occured. Internet Explorer could not even connect. Firefox did connect, however, it only showed my DVR content, and when I attempted to play anything it died with the "sling adapter couldn't be reached at this time".

I switched my hosts to use the IP address for dish6 .... and initially it was slow to respond.. but eventually IE came up and played perfectly, as did Firefox, and both were using the IP addresses I'd setup for use.

While anecdotal .. it would suggest something to there being problems with some sling servers... but to get more indepth, would require someone on Sling & Dish's side to get involved.

Something else to note.. I did this inside the house ... so the initial connections go to the respective Dish & Sling servers, but the actual data is flowing from my 722k directly to my pc ... with *minimal* additional hits to a respective dishX server. Minimal meaning most likely administrivia and reporting ... only when I attempted to access other tabs or content would I see delays again while dish/sling would get information from the 722k.

If Jeffmo wants to try it.. it may help resolve some of the problems.. or at least prove that the problem is more the dishX server that's getting the connection rather than his machines.

Thanks Bobby and TG2! Editing the host file did the trick and I can now access my programming again. I suspected the problem was with the Dish4.sling.com server. I don't believe Dish considers DRA problems to be a priority and thus it takes forever for them to address these types of issues. Thanks again guys.

Just an update note.. as it happens I went to DishOnline.com (which re-routes to beta.dishonline.com) and when going in there.. was greeted to an update of the Sling Player.. I've been in and out of Dishnetwork.com all day ... but the first time I go into dishonline.com (and try to start "Live TV" or something on my DVR) that's when I get prompted to update.

To see what version you have ... easy enough: When you have the video window open ... right click inside the area the video would display... and click "About"

if you're using 1.4.0.111 ... your on the older sling player.. new version appears as v.1.4.0.115

DishOnline.com is part of our packages so if you go in there it uses the same login account as DishNetwork.com (stupid since I could never give that user/pass to unpriviledged family memebers).

Anyway.. check it out.. Good Luck!!

Finally got mine working. The problem was on my end. My router is setup with a web proxy that allows some filtering. Once I disabled the web proxy things starting working.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)