Remote Doesn't Turn Off TV or Hopper 3

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

11555h

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 25, 2021
Southern Michigan
I just had Dish installed yesterday and am very unfamiliar with it. I have had Directv since 1994 and at my age it is tough to learn new tricks. So this is probably a dumb question. When I push the power button on the remote to turn off the TV and Hopper 3 the only thing that happens is I get a message to touch any key to watch tv or leave it and it will go into standby. So last night I turned off the tv manually and left the hopper on. The remote also will not turn on the tv. It does control the volume and the channel selection and I think all of the other functions. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

hello friend no worries

Sounds like the installer didn't set up the IR codes and or the remote ID...?

or perhaps the volume and such works because the IR code was only a partial match...?

also the hoppers are never really "off". That's the message you see. touch any key to watch because it's "off".

Reactions: Howard Simmons
Check the back of the remote and see which model you have. it is not hard to reprogram the remote. If you mention what brand tv you have, that will be helpful, too.

I just had Dish installed yesterday and am very unfamiliar with it. I have had Directv since 1994 and at my age it is tough to learn new tricks. So this is probably a dumb question. When I push the power button on the remote to turn off the TV and Hopper 3 the only thing that happens is I get a message to touch any key to watch tv or leave it and it will go into standby. So last night I turned off the tv manually and left the hopper on. The remote also will not turn on the tv. It does control the volume and the channel selection and I think all of the other functions. Thank you in advance for any suggestions.
Thank you both for the advice. I did go into settings and found that the "Infrared Reception" was turned off. I turned it on and it works great now. Such a pleasure to have willing experienced people to lean on for a Newbie. Thanks again and I will probably be back.
And look at you go friend!! New tricks indeed! Joining forums, making posts then onto fixing your own TV! AND, it's almost friday! :drunk

welcome aboard by the way

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)