Remote Programming Question?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

cdmanproductions

Original poster
Nov 6, 2004
i have a sony remote (rm-y165) and im trying to program it to work with my dish network reciever (dp301), but the codes i have gotten from sony, dish network, and other websites on the internet havnt worked. the dish network remote model # (ir remote 103602) that works with the reciever. hopefully someone out there can help. thanks in advance.

cdman

Try holding down on the TV mode button until all the other mode buttons (SAT, VCR, AUX) light up then let go of the TV button. Keep pressing the POWER button until the tv goes off then press the # button on the bottom right of the remote control. This is called a remote code scan. You will notice while you are doing this that the TV mode button light will remain lit until each time you press the POWER button in which it will not be lit at that time until you release that button again. I hope that works for you.

i dont think you understand what i want to do, i want to get my sony remote (rm-y165) to control the dish network reciever (dish pro 301), the remote codes that i have found dont work, so i was hoping someone on here could help me. thanks in advance.

cdman

If the Rm-Y165 isn't a learning remote, you're not going to get it to work with your 301. Best suggestion is to buy a universal learning remote and program everytjing.

I use the sat fuctions more than the tv functions. Basically I only use TV fuctionality to adjust the volume, turn it on/off and select an input. I programmed the DN remote to do the tv, not the other way around. The buttons on the Sony remote won't come close to getting all the sat fuctions you may want. Program the 301 remote for the tv, you would be better off.

You might want to look on http://www.remotecentral.com/

They have several help sections and forums.

This really isn't going to help, but I just bought an iPAQ (Handheld color :rainbow PDA )

It comes with Nevo installed. For 200 bux, I have a color programmable remote that will also learn codes and control ANY IR device. It can also be used as a PDA and palmtop computer. I may never get off my couch again. :D

It also can be programmed for multiple rooms and multiple users.

The downside is the control distance can be anywhere from 5 to 10 feet depending on the sensitivity of the recieving unit.

The next best dedicated color learning remote with similar functions is the Phillips ProntoPro TSU-6000 and it starts at 799.00.

Just a thought...

The Pronto Pro TSU-6000 has been out of production for about a year now. It's replacement the Pronto Pro NG TSU-7000 is currently available for around $660.

The 7000 is really nice. 16-bit color screen, 16 MB of memory available with the current firmware (the full 32 MB should be available with the next update), 17 programmable hard buttons, the full 240x320 screen area is editable. Since getting it I've retired my 6000 to the living room system. :D

thanks for all the replies, the reason i wanted to use my sony remote is cause i only have 1 remote for 2 recievers (lost one), so i guess im gonna have to break down and buy a new remote, i was trying to not spend anymore money, lol. anyways thanks again for all the replies.

cdman

cdmanproductions said:
thanks for all the replies, the reason i wanted to use my sony remote is cause i only have 1 remote for 2 recievers (lost one), so i guess im gonna have to break down and buy a new remote, i was trying to not spend anymore money, lol. anyways thanks again for all the replies.

cdman
I'm surprised no one with your same Sony didn't chime in with a couple codes to try...This is usually what happens, someone will say you can't then another will chime in with a code that works. I don't have any exposure to your particular remote to comment, but before you spend any money I would do a keyword search here, at remotecentral, in AVSForums, in SatelliteGuys, and on DBSTalk...I think I have seen Echostar codes for Sony remotes discussed more than once. Here's one to try: 0775 or 1313, just remember the host receiver would need to be set to remote address 1.

There are a lot of inexpensive universal remotes that will work with a E* receiver, somehow this went off topic a bit by suggesting universal solutions most people can't afford.

If all else fails you can buy a replacement 1.5 Blue Button remote, I see the Dishstore has them cheaper that you can buy them direct from Dish...Having replaced more than one myself I wish I knew that previously.

Jason

http://www.dbstalk.com/search.php?searchid=407055

http://www.satelliteguys.us/search.php?searchid=287653

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/mboard/search.cgi?start=rc-sony&num=0&terms=code+for+Dish+301&author=&forum=rc-sony&file=220038611247&wc=1&mm=&tt=3292&dt=365&ba=0&sm=0

hey thanks for the reply, i think what im gonna do is get a learning remote to hopefully control all of my stuff. i have a tv, dvd/vcd combo, stereo, and the dish reciever, i am wondering what would be the best thing for me cause i dont really want to spend alot of money. thanks in advance

cdman

There a lot of choices available in aftermarket remote controls, ranging from simple $15 "universal" remotes to $1000+ uber-remotes and everything in between.

If you haven't done so I would suggest visiting RemoteCentral. It is one of the best sites available on the subject of remote controls. There is a section with reviews of quite a few remotes. There are articles on the subject, the "Clicker Picker", and of course the forums.

Your remote control is your primary interface with your television/home theater setup. If you had spent, for example, $500 on your setup it would not make sense to purchase a remote costing much more than $40-$50.

If, however your system consists of multiple devices (HDTV, HD sat receiver, sat dvr, dvd player, cd player, HT receiver) costing several thousand dollars it's a lot easier to justify the cost of more expensive remote. Especially if the remote is capable of supporting macros to automate complex power/input sequences. Press one button and the TV turns on, HT receiver turns on, satellite receiver turns on, TV switches to satellite receiver input and HT receiver switches to satellite receiver input.

be aware that the remote for the 311 has more codes programmed into it than the remote for the 301. For instance, my 311 (3.1) remote can control my Aiwa stereo, but my 301 (1.5) remote cannot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)