Removing a program from the Startup menu in Windows vista

Dannymcenrow

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jun 1, 2009
Detroit MI
Hi all my sister has an e machines with windows vista on it.There is a program that starts up automatically each time windows starts that causes a lot of problems so we want to prevent it from starting.but the thing is I went into windows defender and located the program but the thing is the disable button is grayed out so it won't let me remove it.Do any of you know a nother way to remove it I don't just wanna delete the app because that will create a lot of error messages at startup so I wanna prevent windows from starting it.Anybody knows how to do it?

If this is a "normal" program that someone installed (not some malware), then the best way of uninstalling it is through "Programs and Features" in the Control Panel. Try that first.
You can also try right-clicking on the Start button and selecting "Explore All Users". Open "Programs" folder and then "Startup" folder. If the program shortcut is listed there - delete it. However, this is only one of many ways how programs can be automatically launched at start-up.

Here is another thing you can try:

Click Start and in the Start-Search textbox enter MSConfig and press Enter.
In the MSConfig program select Startup tab. Locate the program you want to prevent from starting and remove the checkmark next to it.
Some programs may launch as services. So, if you can't find your program, check the Services tab too.

Good luck!

Hi all my sister has an e machines with windows vista on it.There is a program that starts up automatically each time windows starts that causes a lot of problems so we want to prevent it from starting.but the thing is I went into windows defender and located the program but the thing is the disable button is grayed out so it won't let me remove it.Do any of you know a nother way to remove it I don't just wanna delete the app because that will create a lot of error messages at startup so I wanna prevent windows from starting it.Anybody knows how to do it?

Have you gone into the options menu of the program? Some will have a option to open automatically on start up. The name of the program would help.....

Here is another thing you can try:

Click Start and in the Start-Search textbox enter MSConfig and press Enter.
In the MSConfig program select Startup tab. Locate the program you want to prevent from starting and remove the checkmark next to it.
Some programs may launch as services. So, if you can't find your program, check the Services tab too.

Good luck!

Do it this way.

As a matter of fact, I'd recommend going in there and dechecking anything that doesn't need to be always running. It'll speed up the computer a lot.