Removing channels from the guide

BNDAZ

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 20, 2008
I am overwhelmed...just got dish installed today..used to and HDVR2 with DTV and learning the DISH menu system.
I have to say that so far...i am really disappointed with the "ease of use " of this software, not very intuitive.

I am going to have a lot of questions.
The first one is this...

How do i remove channels from the guide?
I don't want or need all the pay per view and or sports channels gumming up the guide.

Second, how do i get the DishPass to find a specific show, like survivor and record ONLY it, rather than every show with survivor in the name( i choose exact match).
I started typing Survivor Micronesia, but it cuts off after a specific number of letters and wont let me finish the exact name of the show.

First part, to remove channels from just the guide. Two ways to do this, 1. use favorites: press menu; then preferences; then favorites: There are two or three depending on the type of receiver you have: there is All Chan for all channel and All Sub for all subscribe and if you have an HD receiver there is also All HD. You cannot change any of these lists, so you start with list 1. Go through the entire list and highlight all the channels you want in the list and give it a name for it. Press the guide button to bring up the guide then press again while the guide showing takes you to the next favorite till you get to the guide you want. All channels will still show when you use themes and search features.
Second method is to use Locks. 2. Press menu; press Locks; press Channel Locks. This time you highlight the channels you do not want, when finished press Done. This brings you back to the Locks screen, press Lock System, you will need a four digit code you can remember, enter the code a second time and the system locks. This removes the locked channels in all the existing guides, themes and searches. Even if you go to the channel by number, the system will skip to the next available channel. If you want to add them back, you just have to go back into locks and remove them from the channel lock, so you have to remember you lock code.
I don't really use DishPass so someone else will have to give you info on that feature.

Easier than REMOVING channels from the existing guides,
just go into preferences, favorites, and make your own list of favorite channels.

fred

I set up a lock password, scrolled through and marked each of the channels i would like to have gone and locked the system with the password i set-up
Open the guide in "all-Sub"( i checked the other "lists as well) and low and behold...a bunch of crap is still there...many pay per view adults( i locked adult PPV) are still present. I am not going to go through and set up a favorites channel list..it ridiculous that you cant just eliminate the channels you want gone in the set-up.
SO
I tried to go back and just set-up some dish passes and this system wont identify some very basic shows, the GUI looks nice, but it doesn't work very well.
Doesn't find programs, finds programs, but sets itself to record others with the same search term in the title, it goes on.

I am DONE.
I am quite savvy when it comes to using electronics and figuring out how things work. The software is just
I am within the 72 hour cancellation period with dish, i am calling today to kill this

I set up a lock password, scrolled through and marked each of the channels i would like to have gone and locked the system with the password i set-up
Open the guide in "all-Sub"( i checked the other "lists as well) and low and behold...a bunch of crap is still there...many pay per view adults( i locked adult PPV) are still present. I am not going to go through and set up a favorites channel list..it ridiculous that you cant just eliminate the channels you want gone in the set-up.
SO
I tried to go back and just set-up some dish passes and this system wont identify some very basic shows, the GUI looks nice, but it doesn't work very well.
Doesn't find programs, finds programs, but sets itself to record others with the same search term in the title, it goes on.

I am DONE.
I am quite savvy when it comes to using electronics and figuring out how things work. The software is just
I am within the 72 hour cancellation period with dish, i am calling today to kill this
Did you start in ALL CHANNELS? Does not sound like you did. That's why you are still getting the adult channels, PPV, et. That or you did not complete the lock process.

You need to change the Hide Locked to Show Locked in the locks menu (8) to hide the locked channels. That is, Number 8 should read "Show Locked | 8".

Sounds like you need to calm down and give yourself some time to get the hang of the new system. Certainly you don't master everything else on the first attempt. Why would you expect anything less this time? Canceling would be a mistake. Your receiver will do many things you will soon come to highly appreciate. Have a cold one and chill out. These guys know they're stuff. They'll help you every step of the way if you'll let them.

Mmmm....a cold one.

We call it ID dot T error.

Put chimpanzee it the car, throw in the keys and wait. Of course he is going to wreck it. Loads of fun to watch, but in the end, be glad you are not the chimp.

You need to change the Hide Locked to Show Locked in the locks menu (8) to hide the locked channels. That is, Number 8 should read "Show Locked | 8".

exactly. you need to go where it shows hide locked and click on that so it shows show locked or unhide locked. the adult needs to say the same thing show adult.

i had direc and honestly i find the dish dvrs more customizable. that is my opinion anyways. your entitled to yours my friend. :)

SO

I am DONE.
Dad? Is that you?
The easiest way to program TV shows is to find the show in the guide and click on it. Then select desired options, then Create Timer.
Done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts