Removing Virtual Joey?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

amv

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
I signed up for the Virtual Joey on my PS3 a few weeks ago. Since then, I have had issues using it & the whole experience hasn't been great. Today, I called Dish to remove the Virtual Joey from my account & they told me that all I had to do was delete the app from my PS3 & Dish would automatically stop charging me the $7 monthly fee. I somehow find this hard to believe. Is this true?

I am interested to find out more about how they know you have deleted it. It isn't impossible, but it is improbable particularly since you don't have to be online.

I signed up for the Virtual Joey on my PS3 a few weeks ago. Since then, I have had issues using it & the whole experience hasn't been great. Today, I called Dish to remove the Virtual Joey from my account & they told me that all I had to do was delete the app from my PS3 & Dish would automatically stop charging me the $7 monthly fee. I somehow find this hard to believe. Is this true?

That doesn't seem accurate. I would think that Dish would have to deactivate it on their end since the customer has to call and activate it originally.

Along these lines, the $7 fee applies whether you use the app or not, I imagine. Once it's activated on your account, Dish doesn't care if it's installed on your device(s) anymore or if you even use it. They'll keep charging for it each month.

Reactions: Tampa8
Along these lines, the $7 fee applies whether you use the app or not, I imagine. Once it's activated on your account, Dish doesn't care if it's installed on your device(s) anymore or if you even use it. They'll keep charging for it each month.

I agree with you. Dish is going to charge the fee until the customer calls Dish and deactivates the Virtual Joey on the account.

I know this wasn't the intent of your thread, but I am curious what the issues were that resulted in you wanting to remove the Virtual Joey?

A competent CSR is going to delete the "Virtual Joey Service" from your sidecar on your account and that will stop the charges. Ditto what others have said. Either get in touch with DIRT, or try again, and hopefully you'll get someone competent.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

By the way, a question for those that have had issues with CSRs who have not been competent. Just curious, but were they on-shore (US) or off-shore agents? There are agents outside the US in several places, including Mexico and the Philippines. And contrary to what you may have heard, that is on the rise, not the decline.

As a Dish employee, my opinions are my own, and do not represent my employer in any way.

A competent CSR is going to delete the "Virtual Joey Service" from your sidecar on your account and that will stop the charges. Ditto what others have said. Either get in touch with DIRT, or try again, and hopefully you'll get someone competent.

I think you mean a CSR in the U.S. :).

Thats whats what I said in another thread, but people said I was wrong. Thats why I never installed or attempted to active this virtual joey app. I find it a scam for dish to steal extra $7 from peoples pocket and just like double dipping people who subscribe to AEP and the multisport package. I know you guys are going argue back with me it doesnt matter what package you subscribe, double dipping is still a form of stealing.

Thats whats what I said in another thread, but people said I was wrong. Thats why I never installed or attempted to active this virtual joey app. I find it a scam for dish to steal extra $7 from peoples pocket and just like double dipping people who subscribe to AEP and the multisport package. I know you guys are going argue back with me it doesnt matter what package you subscribe, double dipping is still a form of stealing.

I don't see how they can charge you just for downloading the app. The Virtual Joey has to be tied to an account which requires it to be activated which requires contacting Dish. Should not be a concern.

Lets not bring up the AEP/Multisports argument again.

(groan) It's not double-dipping, Rusty. If you get to watch Dish service on another television, and Dish has even sent you a remote to do so, I fail to see why charging the extra $7 for that is somehow wrong, or even "double dipping".

Can you explain, specifically, how you think adding a television, and being charged $7/mo for that extra television (which is exactly what would happen if you placed a regular Joey at this TV) is somehow double dipping?

I don't see how they can charge you just for downloading the app. The Virtual Joey has to be tied to an account which requires it to be activated which requires contacting Dish. Should not be a concern.

Lets not bring up the AEP/Multisports argument again.

Hopefully stating the obvious, but I do not believe the Sony app store, or the LG store, charges anything to download the app. Downloading the app is free, the only thing that will happen is trying to use the app will prompt the customer to contact dish to activate it, and that is when the $7/mo starts, once the CSR selects "Virtual Joey Service" to be added to the customer's account. And that is when Dish sends out a 40.0 remote to the customer to use that extra TV.

(groan) It's not double-dipping, Rusty. If you get to watch Dish service on another television, and Dish has even sent you a remote to do so, I fail to see why charging the extra $7 for that is somehow wrong, or even "double dipping".

Can you explain, specifically, how you think adding a television, and being charged $7/mo for that extra television (which is exactly what would happen if you placed a regular Joey at this TV) is somehow double dipping?

He's not saying that the Vitual Joey is "double-dipping." He's saying that it is a scam and that it's similar to how Dish double-dips with the AEP and multi-sports packages. Regardless they are not very good arguments.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
There is no charge to download the Joey App. If you sign up for it you pay $7 to watch Dish on that TV. If you have it removed from your account you stop paying for it. Anything else you come up with is made up.

Reactions: SomeDishGuy
So quick question, that has likely been asked. I know a diu is going to add physical equipment. However with the addition of the app, does that or does that not require a commitment. Ie, I rent a room in my home often, if I were to just put a ps3 in there and have it turned on and off as roommates come and go, would this be allowed. From the looks, it would, with no commitment, but let's be honest. We love dish, but they, like any business, can do what ever they can to satisfy that green meanie.

So quick question, that has likely been asked. I know a diu is going to add physical equipment. However with the addition of the app, does that or does that not require a commitment. Ie, I rent a room in my home often, if I were to just put a ps3 in there and have it turned on and off as roommates come and go, would this be allowed. From the looks, it would, with no commitment, but let's be honest. We love dish, but they, like any business, can do what ever they can to satisfy that green meanie.

It does not require a commitment. Adding a virtual Joey is not any kind of lease, and is not any kind of DIU (Dish'n It Up). Much like if you owned a Joey, which you could turn on and off at will, you would be able to do that with a virtual Joey.

Reactions: Tampa8