rental of 9200, anybody yet?

Fgsilva

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 10, 2004
Vallejo, CA
Has anybody here in the US rented the 9200 from Evu? I'm considering that option but the 24 month commitement doesn't sound like a good idea...

Fgsilva said:
Has anybody here in the US rented the 9200 from Evu? I'm considering that option but the 24 month commitement doesn't sound like a good idea...

I was in the waiting list for the 9200 when it was available for sale, when I was notified that it was in stock.. They mentioned that I could only get it as a rental and I said No to it.

That rental dilemma pretty much killed the deal for me in getting the 9200 HD PVR.

If it wasn't for the 2 year commitment I'd go for it. but, I did the math: $25x24 =600. so after 2 years I'd have payed $600 and NOT owe the equipment. I think I'd rather wait for DirectTv bringing the rest of my HD locals!:)

miguelaqui said:
That's why I went ahead and purchased a DSR 530 and went with Star Choice!

I can not believe anyone (Canada or US) would go for the rental.

Think about it. Let's say it is a $600 machine. At @25/month=$300/yr so they are charging 50% interest rate (simple not compound) for ever! Let's say you like the service and keep the unit past the 2 year committ; Five years later, you have paid $1,500 for that unit!!!!

Plus, at that kind of rental, how is it competitive with cable?

or forget about DVR...look at HDTV receiver for $10/month. Compare to SC at purchase price of $200. That is over 50% interest rate. (and I am not including the fact that Bell's equipment cost is likely 40% below retail sale prices so we are pushing 100% interest rate for bell). AND unless I am missing something, you pay another $10/month for the channels so take whatever you were paying and add $20/month for HDTV. I can not beleive anyone is signing up! (Yes, I know Canadians can get "free" rental for two years but they will start to charge you the full amount in two years and we are right back where we started...)

I know some people prefer rental because it spreads the cost but for me, I would rather "pay my self" after the pay-back period and 1 to 2 years is reasonable pay back on equipment that you could get 5 years of service from easy.

chemie said:
I can not believe anyone (Canada or US) would go for the rental.
I was going to go for the Expressvu rental deal if SC did not add TSNHD + CBCHD for hockey.

As a Bell Telephone local customer + Bell Sympatico HISpeed customer the rebates were very big for me.

2 year rental contract - free install + Bell would abandon the dish after the contract was up. My cost/month $10 for HD receiver + $2.50 for SD receiver + $10 surcharge for HD = $22.50 month

My rebates: 24 months rental of HD receiver ($240); 12 months of HD ($120) + $5/month rebate on Sympatico HiSpeed ($120)

Total cost of rentals/HD charge over 24 months = $540
Total rebates = $480 Difference $60 which is $2.50/month

But then SC added the HD and I had no need for Compressvu SD PQ.

I guess some can "save" if they bundle, bundle, bundle.

I wonder if everyone ends up on a 2-year rotation. 2Years with BEV, then switch to SC for their two year bundle deal, then back to BEV etc

Only way to avoid getting screwed with all those monthly fews at the end of the 2-year "deal"

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts