Replace DirecTV with FTA - how easy?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dzinkin

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 22, 2006
(No, this isn't about how to avoid paying my DirecTV bill. Relax. :)

I have a DirecTV (Phase III) dish that is no longer being used because I returned to cable a few months ago. I'm looking into the possibility of switching the dish out for a simple FTA setup pointed at IA5, with no motorized dish or other complexities. However, I'm not terribly handy with power tools (I'm a computer tech/network admin so the tools I typically use are smaller :) and I live in a condo, so I want to make the switch as easy, quiet and pain-free as possible. I'm assuming that I can use the same cabling as it's all RG-6. The DirecTV dish is in my balcony area, on the wall just outside the door to the balcony.

Am I biting off more than I can chew? Or is this something that I should be able to accomplish easily? Any advice would be appreciated.

A Winegard DS2076 Dish will fit right on the same DirecTV pole/mast (As will many other brands of dish) . (Depending on clearance) I have done this switch over many times. Always a good idea to run fresh cable but the RG6 you have right now will work well. Then all you have to worry about is the pointing of the dish!

http://www.dmsiusa.com/ds2076.htm

You will need a Linear Ku LNB also of course!

Last edited:
I should have mentioned that I'm in the Rochester, NY area -- will the Winegard be large enough?

The ALL American made Winegard dish works better than many slightly larger dish! You always want to get as big a dish as you can get, but this dish will get you 99% of the FTA channels, 99% of the time. GREAT dish from a GREAT manufacturer. An you will not get an easier swap!

Wow, sounds as though it'll be easier than I thought. I just put a couple of new-in-box DirecTV DVRs on eBay -- when/if the $$$ comes in from those I think I know what my next purchase might be. :)

Just might be checking back in sooner or later (hopefully sooner)... for now, thanks much for the help.

Thought "Bigger Dish" always better...? :confused: Sounds like it's better than my GeoSatPro 90cm dish, no?

PSB said:
The ALL American made Winegard dish works better than many slightly larger dish! You always want to get as big a dish as you can get, but this dish will get you 99% of the FTA channels, 99% of the time. GREAT dish from a GREAT manufacturer. An you will not get an easier swap!

I mentioned the ALL American made Winegard DS2076 as this is the dish I use for ALL my installations done to local and NEC code, the OP was looking for an EASY swap out and I have a lot of experience swapping out DirecTV dish for the Winegard 2076 as it uses the exact same mounting pole diameter!

Hope that clears things up for you :)

You may also have noticed this line from above!

"You always want to get as big a dish as you can get"

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)