Replacement Receiver Quality Control Problems?

tennisnut

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 1, 2010
Houston area
Are other folks seeing problems with the quality of refurbished receivers? After 4 good years our 622 started failing when we tried to record something or play a recording. We’re now waiting for our third replacement unit since I reported the original problem 12 days ago! The first replacement would freeze on a frame, locking up all the controls and requiring unplugging the receiver to restart it. The second replacement arrived yesterday and seems to be working OK, except that the buttons on the receiver don’t work and when you press a button it recedes behind the faceplate and stays there. (The buttons were not disabled on the Lock submenu of the main menu.) As a result, we can’t put the receiver in single mode, and we can’t reset it except by unplugging.

I’m getting tired of analyzing problems, spending time on the telephone, living with the problems while we wait for the next unit to arrive, installing the replacement unit, and transferring settings and timers to the replacement. Thank goodness for the external hard drive feature! Although the Dish reps all say they’ve never seen such a string of replacement problems, but I question the quality control of their refurbs. Dish can’t (won’t?) supply new units, and there probably aren’t many new 622s floating around out there. BTW, on the second replacement I asked Dish to send the unit faster than UPS Ground. They would only do that if I paid $25 for UPS Next Day delivery. I think they should have picked up the charge, since this was the second replacement, but I reluctantly agreed. That would have been a Saturday delivery, and they said it would arrive on Saturday. It didn’t, so I complained. Just got an email that they would credit the $25, so they did the right thing there. But beware if someone says they offer Saturday delivery.

Any suggestions on what I could/should do differently? If this third replacement is faulty, they’re going to have to send out a tech with several units, or we’re outa here.

Are other folks seeing problems with the quality of refurbished receivers? After 4 good years our 622 started failing when we tried to record something or play a recording. We’re now waiting for our third replacement unit since I reported the original problem 12 days ago! The first replacement would freeze on a frame, locking up all the controls and requiring unplugging the receiver to restart it. The second replacement arrived yesterday and seems to be working OK, except that the buttons on the receiver don’t work and when you press a button it recedes behind the faceplate and stays there. (The buttons were not disabled on the Lock submenu of the main menu.) As a result, we can’t put the receiver in single mode, and we can’t reset it except by unplugging.

I’m getting tired of analyzing problems, spending time on the telephone, living with the problems while we wait for the next unit to arrive, installing the replacement unit, and transferring settings and timers to the replacement. Thank goodness for the external hard drive feature! Although the Dish reps all say they’ve never seen such a string of replacement problems, but I question the quality control of their refurbs. Dish can’t (won’t?) supply new units, and there probably aren’t many new 622s floating around out there. BTW, on the second replacement I asked Dish to send the unit faster than UPS Ground. They would only do that if I paid $25 for UPS Next Day delivery. I think they should have picked up the charge, since this was the second replacement, but I reluctantly agreed. That would have been a Saturday delivery, and they said it would arrive on Saturday. It didn’t, so I complained. Just got an email that they would credit the $25, so they did the right thing there. But beware if someone says they offer Saturday delivery.

Any suggestions on what I could/should do differently? If this third replacement is faulty, they’re going to have to send out a tech with several units, or we’re outa here.

You need to get a Dish Network Technician out there to make sure the problem is in the replacement receivers and not in your system somewhere.Good Luck!.:)

Just went through 2 622's to get one to work replacing one that went south. If they want to send a tech ask that they bring a 722(k).

Thanks gdarwin. Misery loves company. I would love to replace the 622 with a 722k, but I don't want to start a new contract cycle. Maybe I can get them to bring only ONE rebuilt 622 and one 722k:rolleyes:.

In the almost 3 years I have had my (POS)622 I have replaced it 8 times. The one I have now has worked mostly OK for almost a year now. I think every model of the VIP (POS) series have a lot of problems. And it appears Dish doesn't much care.

I have a better experience. A couple of years ago I tried to activate what was probably the last remaining "virgin" 622. It was a new-in-box 622 that had been in storage since early '06. However, while it downloaded it's software OK, it refused to activate despite numerous "hits". Dish was kind enough to replace it free of charge, even though I didn't have the service plan.

Fast forward to today... That refurb 622 has been an absolute workhorse. I've had ZERO problems since day one.

HIFI said:
in my experiences, I end up replacing a mailed out replacement about 80 to 85 percent of the time because they are in as bad if not worse shape than what the customer had.

I agree. The receivers sent by c/s often times are no good due to the fact UPS doesn't handle them very well, they get tossed around in transit and bounced in their trucks. Receivers from Dish vans are handled with much more care.

I agree. The receivers sent by c/s often times are no good due to the fact UPS doesn't handle them very well, they get tossed around in transit and bounced in their trucks. Receivers from Dish vans are handled with much more care.

How do you think the receivers get to the Dish retailers (Dish vans)??????

I find it funny that I`m seeing DISH PEOPLE contributing to the forum threads now but not one of them has anything to contribute,as of yet , to this thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts