Replacing Internal Hard Drive in 501 PVR

hmgavin

Original poster
Dec 13, 2008
I need to replace the internal Hard Drive in my 501 receiver. How do I do this? I tried using the extrnal drive formatted by my 622, but that did not work. Apparently there is information needed by the receiver on the drive. The original drive still works it is just too small (40 GB). Any advice is helpful.

I need to replace the internal Hard Drive in my 501 receiver. How do I do this? I tried using the extrnal drive formatted by my 622, but that did not work. Apparently there is information needed by the receiver on the drive. The original drive still works it is just too small (40 GB). Any advice is helpful.

I'm not sure since I haven't tried it. I heard some time ago that you can add up to 120 Gb hard drive. Also I heard it needs to be unformatted, just like they are when you buy a new one. I think that the 501 will format the drive automatically. I don't know how much longer you can use an MPEG2 Receiver. I would go with an HD receiver 612, 622, 722 and add an external hard drive. You can get over 300 hours of SD programming on these receivers internal hard drives. You would also be ready for HD.

Ron

Yahhoo group dishmod

google Symantec Ghost
it will copy your old one to the new one same format exactly bigger partition

You must read first before make such bold statement.
Check that Yahoo group and delete your wrong advice ! :(

umm
i am sorry but i tried it, and it works
soo unless u tried it and it didnt work and u know 100% u did it right then dont assume my advice is wrong

OK, if you not willing to get real knowledge, I'll tell you - yes, you can do "Ghost -ir" for 501/508/510 disk,
BUT IF NEW DISK is ABSOLUTELY SAME MODEL.
I mean maker/model/size.

As P. Smith has said, there is a list of acceptable drives on the Yahoo group dishmod.

Replacement drives must be "married" to the receiver, so you cannot just slap another drive into a 501/508/510 (unlike the 525/625).

You can use a larger drive (only from the list) to actually make the 501 think it is a 510 (still no DVR fees).

Wouldn't hurt to call dish and see if they can swap it, I wonder if any of the models accepted by the firmware are even made anymore. My out of warranty owned 622 had its drive fail and dish swapped it for free.

501 Replacement

I know I can get a newer receiver. This one is owned, not leased and it is for my kids room. I know if I call dish they will just tell me to upgrade, which I don't really want to. I figured I could also do a disk copy if it does it bit by bit, but I wasn't sure which programs did it.

As P. Smith has said, there is a list of acceptable drives on the Yahoo group dishmod.

Replacement drives must be "married" to the receiver, so you cannot just slap another drive into a 501/508/510 (unlike the 525/625).

You can use a larger drive (only from the list) to actually make the 501 think it is a 510 (still no DVR fees).

Can you send a link to dishmod? I cannot find it through a search.

I know I can get a newer receiver. This one is owned, not leased and it is for my kids room. I know if I call dish they will just tell me to upgrade, which I don't really want to. I figured I could also do a disk copy if it does it bit by bit, but I wasn't sure which programs did it.

You can, follow white rabbit, umm post#9 :).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)