Replacing KU LNB

Status
Please reply by conversation.
gabshere

that one is sealed. I have one. Its just like the "normal" LNB's out there...except this one is a 50mm throat (versus normal 40mm)

there are no screws to take out

well thats sad lol thought it would be a cheap replacement

back when i got a deal on the hughes lnbf's with the feedhorn 8 for $50 too bad i didn't get more

a lot of others will work
the globecast one also will work

I remember that EBay deal, the guy was selling boxes of them. I've heard there's a dual output version, but I never could find one.

Greg, I have a 1 meter Channel Master (they are the manufacturers of the Primestar dishes) with the same feedhorn as the one in your picture. It originally came with a WR-75-flanged Norsat which was attached to the feedhorn with a single-polarity waveguide. I replaced the waveguide and Norsat LNB with a FSS stacked LNB from a Superdish so I could receive both H and V on G-18.

Question About LNB

Well I am up and running at last.
However, I am using a 20 year old C Band LNB and then changing to a 25 year old KU Lnb. I switching these back and forth on my 10ft BUD.
I am hitting sats but tired of switching.
I am interested in up-dating to the BSC621-2 Universal LNB. Does anyone know whether or not the circular di-electric plate will allow me to pick up DSS signals and whether are not the universal LNB will allow me to pick up the regular North American Sats?
I see that some of you are using the BSC621 regular LNB.
One more question, whether or not you have to take out the di-electric plate each time you want to pick up C or Ku signals?

Maybe I should approach this from a different direction.

As pointed out, 40mm is about the same as the mounting point for the original feed horn.

How about a recommendation for a totally new LNB that is 40mm across the neck?

A couple of questions.
What is the difference between a linear and universal LNB?
Some linear LNBs have only one output. Is is because there is a switch built in to the LNB to switch between H/V ?

Some trivia
Channel Master was bought by Andrew who was bought by ASC Signal Corporation

A linear lnb covers 11.7-12.2 GHz range and a universal covers the entire ku band from 10.7-12.75 GHz. The 11.7-12.2 GHz range is what is used for North American satellites and you would only need an universal if you want to watch Intelsat 9 at 58W or if you can get any of the Asian ku sats.

Most of the new lnbf's have a switch inside to get both H and V. 13V is for one polarity and 18V is for the other. If it has 2 outputs on the lnbf it will allow 2 receivers to watch V or H independent of which polarity the other receiver is watching.

You can get a new lnbf with a 40mm throat and it should work except you will get slightly less quality than using a lnb attached to the feedhorn that comes with your dish.

Thanks

Since some of my dishes have no LNB even one that didn't work as well as the original would be a step up. :)

I used a 40mm FSKUV Fortec universal LNBF for some time on my Channel Master (before I found the proper feedhorn for it), and when I switched to the proper feedhorn, I noticed a significant signal improvement. I would stick with the original feedhorn and locate a C-120 LNB that will bolt to it.

To add to the answer about the difference between universal and linear, those are two different specifications. Universal Ku LNBs are linear, as are standard Ku LNBs. Circular comes into play when you are talking about a DBS LNB, like the kind that are used to receive Dish Network and DirecTV.

I would stick with the original feedhorn and locate a C-120 LNB that will bolt to it.

Ok sounds good.
Can you suggest a few companies that make good C-120 mountable LNBs?

By good I mean really high quality, but not too expensive :)

I'd like to try to get the same configuration as the existing SciAtl with a H and V output. (If possible)

Chech out voomvoom's link in post 3. They are fairly cheap and they are stacked lnb's, which mean that both H and V are available at the same time. You only need high frequency splitters to feed more than one receiver at the same time. Remove the feed horn that comes with them and attatch to the current one on your dish. BTW the feedhorns that come with them are designed for eliptical offset dishes so they might get better signal than a lnbf on your primestars that have no feedhorn (assuming they are eliptical primestars).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts