Replacing Receivers

hometheaterman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 9, 2004
I noticed Dishstore.net has the 501 PVR for $129 and it seems like a decent price. I want a Replay so I can have the home networking option but don't really want to have to pay the $12.95 and have the loss of quality from it not recording directly from the satellite stream. I now have a 301 and was wondering if I upgrade it to the 501 do I have to sign a new contract? Would it be worth it to spend the $200 for a 508 instead not sure if the 35 hours is enough recording but I guess it would be. Should I be concerned about it being refurbished? I know several people with PVRs none with Dishnetwork though and they all seem to work slower as in changing channels isn't quite as fast is it the same with this reciever? I don't really need a
PVR but for $129 with no monthly fees it doesn't seem like a bad idea. The main thing stopping me wanting a PVR is the monthly fee and this one doesn't have that.

No - you are buying the box and own it. As long as you install it yourself, a call to Dish to activate it, and you're done.

The only issue that can arise is if you're under contract for the 301, AND you deactivate it.

I'm not under contract I have had it for 2 years and my contract was only for a year so I am have not been under a contract for a year now and don't want to be under another. The other question I have is it has a replacement remote pictured under what other customers bought or whatever. Does this 501 come with a remote or do I have to buy one seperately? Anyone know how much Dishstore.net charges to ship the receiver? I'm thinking I may uprgrade to the 501. I don't know that I need the 508 as I usually record stuff to my PC that has 440GB of hard drive space and then put it on a DVD or leave it on there this would just be for when I don't want to use the computer or VCR.

Another thing I want is the ability to record Dolby Digital and output it which my 301 doesn't do although I don't watch much stuff in Dolby Digital only a few pay per views every so often so I never really cared all that much although I would like to have it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)