Replacing VIP211 with same or Hopper

Mark A Sparks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
East Tennessee
I have a VIP211 with an external hard drive, it has been acting up lately and i think it finally died today.

Would like some recommendations about replacing: get another VIP211 shipped out no charge, upgrade to a hopper no charge or hopper 3 for $100.00.

What is the difference between Hopper and Hopper 3 ?

Thank You,

mark

I have a VIP211 with an external hard drive, it has been acting up lately and i think it finally died today.

Would like some recommendations about replacing: get another VIP211 shipped out no charge, upgrade to a hopper no charge or hopper 3 for $100.00.

What is the difference between Hopper and Hopper 3 ?

Thank You,

mark
You need to be a little clearer if you are talking a Hopper 1 VS. a Hopper3 the difference is night and day. The latest software upgrade has made the Hopper 1 unusably slow. The 211K and the Hopper3 are not comparable. Hopper 3 has 16 tuners for satellite no OTA tuner, it is an option. I believe it has a $15/mo. fee for the DVR.

DISH offered me a replacement 211K with 1 year warranty for $50.

You need to be a little clearer if you are talking a Hopper 1 VS. a Hopper3 the difference is night and day. The latest software upgrade has made the Hopper 1 unusably slow. The 211K and the Hopper3 are not comparable. Hopper 3 has 16 tuners for satellite no OTA tuner, it is an option. I believe it has a $15/mo. fee for the DVR.

DISH offered me a replacement 211K with 1 year warranty for $50.

Thanks boba, i am confused at the description of the hoppers? One CS rep called it Hopper with sling vs Hopper 3, another called it Hopper with joey's vs Hopper 3, the $15.00/mo DVR fee is correct.

Hopper w/Sling was the 2nd. generation Hopper (the first had no sling). Otherwise basically the same, three tuner plus optional OTA. Hopper 3 is the Mack Daddy. All Hoppers have Joeys. H3 uses second gen Joeys which are much faster than the first. How long have you been a Dish customer (in good standing)? You might be able to go through Dirt and get a free upgrade if you are out of contract.

Is Dish going to come out with Hopper 4 in the future? I upgraded to Hopper 3 the other day and I love it already; I hadn't yet detected any software glitches on Hopper 3.
I can't realistically imagine what more they could do, except for maybe a larger HDD, but that has it's downside, too...if it goes bad. And no, there has been no word on it. I don't expect anything for a year or two, if then.

Reactions: blatimer1983
I can't realistically imagine what more they could do, except for maybe a larger HDD, but that has it's downside, too...if it goes bad. And no, there has been no word on it. I don't expect anything for a year or two, if then.

Hopper 3 will more than likely be the last receiver manufactured. The truth is who really knows what the future holds.

There will eventually be another Dish receiver to take advantage of greater compression. You can replace an awful lot of STBs for the cost of a single satellite.

But likely not next year.

Reactions: DWS44
Hopper w/Sling was the 2nd. generation Hopper (the first had no sling). Otherwise basically the same, three tuner plus optional OTA. Hopper 3 is the Mack Daddy. All Hoppers have Joeys. H3 uses second gen Joeys which are much faster than the first. How long have you been a Dish customer (in good standing)? You might be able to go through Dirt and get a free upgrade if you are out of contract.

Thanks KAB, great explanation....exactly what i needed

I think navychop has two Hopper 3s hidden in a closet! :shh

My EHDs won't let me consider that option. They told me to hold off for free and no contract and seamless EHD comms.

I talk with them all the time. Ask Bobby. It might be a ways into the evening, but it happens, generally after the unicorns have had their say....

Reactions: charlesrshell
My EHDs won't let me consider that option. They told me to hold off for free and no contract and seamless EHD comms.

I talk with them all the time. Ask Bobby. It might be a ways into the evening, but it happens, generally after the unicorns have had their say....
You are missing out on a sweet DVR. It killed me having to wait almost a year and a half for that damn there DPH42 switch before I could swap to H3s. The 16 tuners are so awesome. DISH really hit a home run with the Hopper 3. You are missing out navychop.

I didn't see it mentioned, so thought I would. Just remember, stuff recorded on the EHD from the 211 will not work with the Hopper. It will have to be reformatted.

Reactions: pattykay
I use my EHDs that came from my 722 to my H2000 and finally to my H3. I have had zero issues with them except the occasional need to reinitiate a playback like others have reported.

Reactions: ChadT41 and DWS44

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts