Replacing Vip612 but Dish won't tell me if my replacements can be activated

Pissed OF-Fa-Fa

Original poster
Apr 18, 2019
here
More specifically, I'm shopping for a used 612 or 722K and CustSvc won't tell me if the ones I'm interested in can be activated.
After multiple (10x) tries I've gotten responses that 2 of them were still active... What? Someone is paying for an old receiver that probably has been out of service for a long time?

Did I miss a discussion that stated Dish doesn't release old rcvrs any more?

Please refrain from "dude, get a hopper"
I'm not giving up my acct# just to ask a question....

Do you have an owned receiver right now you are subbing through? Which one is it? What happened to it, or what is it doing/not doing?

Have you simply asked Dish if they'll send you a exact replacement through their exchange program? If so, at most it would cost you $15 for shipping, and the replacement will also be owned.

This would be by far your cheapest solution, and maybe you won't even have to pay the $15.

Reactions: TheKrell
I've gotten responses that 2 of them were still active... What? Someone is paying for an old receiver that probably has been out of service for a long time?

All "still active" means is that the person who deactivated them did not tell Dish to remove them from their account. This does not imply the owner is still paying for that receiver, nor that the account it's on is still in use. Yes, this is a silly/unnecessary 2-step procedure.

I don’t believe Dish will install “new” ViP boxes. They will only replace existing VIPs. Except, maybe, for the ViP211 series.

But as to a ViP612- I don’t think they have any.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: charlesrshell
More specifically, I'm shopping for a used 612 or 722K and CustSvc won't tell me if the ones I'm interested in can be activated.
After multiple (10x) tries I've gotten responses that 2 of them were still active... What? Someone is paying for an old receiver that probably has been out of service for a long time?

Did I miss a discussion that stated Dish doesn't release old rcvrs any more?

Please refrain from "dude, get a hopper"
I'm not giving up my acct# just to ask a question....

Bottom line, if you presently have an active VIP receiver on your account, DISH will not only activate but will give you one to replace it if needed or you an get one on your own. I do not know if they will add more to your account but I suspect the would still.
If you do not have a VIP presently active DISH reportedly won't activate one anymore.

I think DISH IS giving you an answer. I would not count on them adding those specific ones to your account. Contact a local dealer and ask them to see if you can get what you want from them, and for them to make sure it can be activated.

Reactions: TheKrell
A troublesome vip612 is active on the account along with several others. This one gets into a seemingly overheat condition because the fan will run on high for several days. Have to do a reset to get the fan to go back to normal, and that is with the cover off all the time. any time the cover gets put on, the fan runs on high. BTW, it is Very Clean inside with wide open air flow. I've also replaced the heat sink compound on the chip with the sink.

I have access to a several discarded vip612 and vip722k units. I'd prefer to go with a vip722k assuming the newer unit has more features. Calling or online chat results in 1 rcvr # check per 1/2 hr of cust svc demanding I give them my account #. 2 have come back as "active"... hence the question.

If I can call for a swap for $15 or change to something better for a few $$ I'd do it. It just seems that every time they access my account something gets screwed up and or my fees increase.

They are NOT going to be able to be definitive without knowing what’s on your current account, and account history.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Reactions: Tampa8
A troublesome vip612 is active on the account along with several others. This one gets into a seemingly overheat condition because the fan will run on high for several days. Have to do a reset to get the fan to go back to normal, and that is with the cover off all the time. any time the cover gets put on, the fan runs on high. BTW, it is Very Clean inside with wide open air flow. I've also replaced the heat sink compound on the chip with the sink.

I have access to a several discarded vip612 and vip722k units. I'd prefer to go with a vip722k assuming the newer unit has more features. Calling or online chat results in 1 rcvr # check per 1/2 hr of cust svc demanding I give them my account #. 2 have come back as "active"... hence the question.

If I can call for a swap for $15 or change to something better for a few $$ I'd do it. It just seems that every time they access my account something gets screwed up and or my fees increase.

I in some way understand your sentiment. You don't want them mucking your account. But you can't have a VIP receiver on the same account as a Hopper and they have to know you do actually have an active VIP receiver now. So without your account number they can't give you a good answer. Won't you have to give them your account number to delete and add a receiver?

Reactions: KAB and navychop

Wally Question

HBO Now Deals?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)