Report: Wireless Carriers are Throttling Online Video

Hard to take that article too seriously when I signed a T-Mobile agreement that clearly stated the downrezzing and how to opt out. I doubt I’d see much PQ improvement on my iPhone.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys App. For now.

Reactions: TheKrell and ncted
I interpreted the article to be referring to subscribers who didn't agree to throttling as part of their plan, or didn't subscribe to a plan where throttling was expressly indicated, but I could be incorrect-

Another study, and the findings are the same:

"We also find throttling practices that are poorly disclosed..."

"Poorly disclosed" is a qualitative statement, while the research paper is supposed to be about quantitative measurements. Either way, on the main page of AT&T's wireless plans, just scrolling through I found the following:

"Play your entertainment in 480p DVD-quality"

and a little farther down the page, under Quick facts about AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM plans:

"Are there limits to what I can stream, or how I can use my data?

On AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM, for all data usage, customer may temporarily experience reduced speeds on these line(s) during times of network congestion. Video streaming is limited to 1.5 Mbps (SD quality).

What is Stream Saver?

Stream Saver is included on select plans, including the new AT&T Unlimited &MoreSM Premium plan. Stream Saver is designed to identify streaming video content over the mobile network so that data speed and resolution of higher definition video can be adjusted to Standard Definition quality (about 480p). This allows customers to stream more video while using the same amount of data. Stream Saver will not apply to content it cannot identify as video. Additionally, your ability to stream and the resolution of video can be affected by other factors. Video content streamed over Wi-Fi is not impacted by Stream Saver, nor is video from content providers who opt out of Stream Saver. Learn more at Stream Saver."

T-Mobile's Plans page clearly lists "SD Streaming" or "HD Streaming" based on the plan you choose.

Sprint's Plans page clearly lists "DVD-quality SD video streaming (480p)," "HD video streaming(1080p)," or "Full HD Streaming" based on the plan you choose, although I am uncertain what the difference is between the latter two.

Verizon's website is unusable, so I gave up after 5 minutes of trying to get details about plans, so I will give allow "poorly disclosed" in reference to Verizon. The other three were stupidly easy to find however.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Verizon's website is unusable, so I gave up after 5 minutes of trying to get details about plans, so I will give allow "poorly disclosed" in reference to Verizon. The other three were stupidly easy to find however.

As a Verizon prepaid customer on the 16gb plan, my experience has been that throttling of video only occurs when throttling of all data occurs; i.e. "congestion throttling."

Reactions: ncted
If you look at the fine print on any of the ads, they speak to this. Perhaps only DIRECTV has more fine print (even their fine print has fine print).

T-Mobile in particular tries to sweep it under the carpet by declaring throttling as an unusual occurrence.

Of course most all "unlimited" plans have at least a couple of different limits so pretty much everyone in the business is rotten.

Of course most all "unlimited" plans have at least a couple of different limits so pretty much everyone in the business is rotten.

For awhile, I had my daughter on Verizon Prepaid's "Unlimited" plan. The congestion throttling happened so often that the data was unusable. If you know anything about me and where I live, the highest population around a cell tower is cattle, so I'm not buying the "congestion" argument.

Interestingly enough, the minute I swapped her plan for the one I'm on (16 gb) the throttling immediately stopped.

Depends on the size of the pipe feeding the tower....if its a t-1or t-3..you are SOL... you can only get so much bandwidth over barbed wire in those country areas
For awhile, I had my daughter on Verizon Prepaid's "Unlimited" plan. The congestion throttling happened so often that the data was unusable. If you know anything about me and where I live, the highest population around a cell tower is cattle, so I'm not buying the "congestion" argument.

Interestingly enough, the minute I swapped her plan for the one I'm on (16 gb) the throttling immediately stopped.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: navychop
Not exactly fine print IMHO.
Screenshot from 2019-08-21 13-57-15.png

Reactions: navychop
No...the speed of the backbone pipe...that would be t1 or t3....50/50 on a backbone pipe is incredibly slow....most have atleast a oc3

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

50/50 is probably provisioned fiber. If so, it could be upgraded in software if the equipment at both ends support the higher speeds.

Lots of T3s still on CDMA-only Verizon towers in my neck of the woods, FWIW.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
50/50 is probably provisioned fiber. If so, it could be upgraded in software if the equipment at both ends support the higher speeds.

Lots of T3s still on CDMA-only Verizon towers in my neck of the woods, FWIW.
if its 3g ..its going away..if its LTE it has to be atleast a oc3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts