Report: Wireless Carriers are Throttling Online Video

Says who? I can't find anything that specifies what backhaul has to be for LTE sites.

CDMA sunset has been delayed until 1 year:

Verizon Delays 3G Network Shutdown | Light Reading
Google Scholar

Its in there...cdma been delayed for businesses not consumers...you have a year or 2....its not going to happen like a light switch in december....just when you want a new phone....drop dead date won't be until atleast 2021..so if you want to say you are correct...go ahead...just don't make any account changes

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Google Scholar

Its in there...cdma been delayed for businesses not consumers...you have a year or 2....its not going to happen like a light switch in december....just when you want a new phone....drop dead date won't be until atleast 2021..so if you want to say you are correct...go ahead...just don't make any account changes

I would like to say I am correct regarding the 3G towers in my area, especially as my original post was in reference to the CDMA-only towers, and not consumer/business accounts in particular.

As for the OC3 requirement for LTE backhaul, I don't have an IEEE membership, so I cannot read those publications. I didn't see anything pertinent in the other links, so I asked a friend who used to work for VZW, and he said most of the LTE towers in central NC were on one form of fiber or another, but that the speeds varied a lot based on who was providing it. He said they would typically not have less than 100Mbps when using leased backhaul as of a few years ago, but there might be a few sites that had less in more remote areas. He mentioned there was a lot of variety across the US, depending on where you were, and mentioned some microwave backhaul out west that tended to go out when it rained too hard. It sounds like 50/50 would be pretty unusual, but not impossible, for leased backhaul.

Last edited:
Reactions: comfortably_numb
No...the speed of the backbone pipe...that would be t1 or t3....50/50 on a backbone pipe is incredibly slow....most have atleast a oc3
A T1 is 1.5mbps. A T3 tops out at under 45mbps (28 T1s). An OC3 tops out at 155mbps (63 T1s).

Of course since the speed depends on the plan and not the plant, how the tower is connected is a red herring.

Reactions: Bobby
For starters LTE is 4g....CDMA is used for phone calls..not data...1 t3 has 28 t1s... then each t1 can handle 24 phone calls...the data is split off at the tower..internet has nothing to do with CDMA...thats why you can only surf or make a call with a verizon 3g phone...4g LTE..the call is either CDMA or inserted into the data stream...the enduser would have no idea what method is being used
I would like to say I am correct regarding the 3G towers in my area, especially as my original post was in reference to the CDMA-only towers, and not consumer/business accounts in particular.

As for the OC3 requirement for LTE backhaul, I don't have an IEEE membership, so I cannot read those publications. I didn't see anything pertinent in the other links, so I asked a friend who used to work for VZW, and he said most of the LTE towers in central NC were on one form of fiber or another, but that the speeds varied a lot based on who was providing it. He said they would typically not have less than 100Mbps when using leased backhaul as of a few years ago, but there might be a few sites that had less in more remote areas. He mentioned there was a lot of variety across the US, depending on where you were, and mentioned some microwave backhaul out west that tended to go out when it rained too hard. It sounds like 50/50 would be pretty unusual, but not impossible, for leased backhaul.

Really..are you that clueless about backbone connections?... congestion at the tower is directly related to the internet connection....
A T1 is 1.5mbps. A T3 tops out at under 45mbps (28 T1s). An OC3 tops out at 155mbps (63 T1s).

Of course since the speed depends on the plan and not the plant, how the tower is connected is a red herring.

Reactions: ncted
For starters LTE is 4g....CDMA is used for phone calls..not data...1 t3 has 28 t1s... then each t1 can handle 24 phone calls...the data is split off at the tower..internet has nothing to do with CDMA...thats why you can only surf or make a call with a verizon 3g phone...4g LTE..the call is either CDMA or inserted into the data stream...the enduser would have no idea what method is being used

So, has Verizon already turned off 3G CDMA data services then? (1xRTT, EV-DO, etc.)

Why not? LOL

:oldno The 4G HSPA+ kind of made sense at the time, but 5GE is just a marketing gimmick. I really wish Verizon would get 3G off their towers and refarm that spectrum for something newer, so I could switch away from AT&T and have something usable where I live.

Really..are you that clueless about backbone connections?... congestion at the tower is directly related to the internet connection....
Apparently you missed CN's comment about his daughter's plan.

You also said that carriers were using T1 and T3 connections. I imagine that is exceedingly rare.

Talking about the backhaul from the tower...why there might be congestion....thats all...if you have 50up and 50 down...you are still limited by the capacity of the tower...heavier use towers might have 16 lane highway to the internet...towers with less usage might have a 4 lane highway to the internet.....if you need me to oversimplify it further...let me know
Apparently you missed CN's comment about his daughter's plan.

You also said that carriers were using T1 and T3 connections. I imagine that is exceedingly rare.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)