Reporting From CEDIA: New Harmony remote

Sorry guys, didn't have time to answer all of your questions during the day.
We had four big press events today: all outside convention center. Each in a different hotel all over Downtown Denver.
The last event (Sharp Press Conference) ended past 7pm Mountain time...
Anyway, I will try to catch up and answer most of your questions. So, please feel free to ask.
I will be meeting with Logitech again tomorrow or on Friday, so if I can't answer some of your questions I can pass them along.

First, let me post some of the additional files from the press-kit:

Attachments

• H1000_BTY3.jpg
    H1000_BTY3.jpg
    378.6 KB · Views: 359
  • Harmony_1000_fact_sheet.pdf
    107.6 KB · Views: 402
  • Harmony_1000_release.pdf
    27.2 KB · Views: 314
mwgiii said:
Ilya, how big is that thing?
I don't have the exact dimensions, but you can tell from the picture posted above (Digital Dude holding it in his hand).
It's a bit bigger than a typical pocket PC. It seemed rather small to me from a distance, until I got a chance to hold it in my hands. It felt very good! The right size and the right weight. Not too big, not too small, not heavy at all, but very solid. My first impression: I want one! (And I was never before a fan of touch-screen remotes!)
One thing I liked very much: you can easily hold it in one hand: the shape (especially the shape of the back side of it) is very ergonomic!

I can't comment on usability yet, as what was shown to us was not a fully operational remote yet, but rather a functional demo: looks like it's software (firmware) is not complete yet. However, they are promising to have it released next month.

are there any new models from harmony that are the tradional one handed remotes that improve on what they already have?
No, this was the main focus of the CEDIA presentation. The other remotes covered by the press kit: 880 Pro and 890 Pro. Keep in mind, though, that focus at CEDIA EXPO (unlike CES) is always on high-end equipment and custom Home Theater installations.

navychop said:
Not sure I like the looks- for all it's size, you'd think it would have a larger screen. With a touch screen, why would you need all those buttons?
I actually like the fact that they did a combination of the touch-screen display and hard buttons. You can use those most important buttons without looking at the remote and holding it with one hand. And when you need more functions you can use the touch-screen portion of the display - which, according to Logitech, is designed to be very intuitive and easy to use. They said this will be by far the easiest Harmony to use and program. (Again, I can't comment on this without spending time actually using this remote.)

Anyway, is it any different, any more capable than the 880?
Well, for starters, 880 is IR only. This one is IR and RF at the same time. So, it should be compared to 890. They both are similar in what they can control, but the touch-screen display just simplifies the user interface, as I understand.

Can the buyer program it, perhaps in a similar online way that you can with current remotes, or will it need to be programmed by an expert?
As all Harmonies, this remote is programmed through a web-based wizard-like user interface. According to Logitech, this one will be even easier to program than any previous Harmony remotes.

I'm a bread and butter type of guy. I like things simple and not too expensive. But to be truthful, this is way too pricey from me! :eek: As much as I watch TV and have various devices connected to it, my simple, push button Sony remote does everything I need it to do. AND, it came with the TV. ;)

Glad your remote runs it all. For many of us, the "universal" remote that comes with our equipment- isn't. Aftermarket "universal" remotes either aren't, or are so hard to set up and maintain who knows if they can run it all? When I finally sprang for the 880, it was a godsend.

I view a single remote as a minor convenience, but I've come to appreciate my 880. I got it for my wife and in-laws to use, but have "come around."

Since my 880 works so well, I probably won't be in the market for the 1000. But I'll look it over, and see what this "880 pro" is all about. I can't keep getting the latest and greatest, but I might set up a universal for another TV room. This could open up the possibility of buying another, perhaps fancier, remote. Or I might give a try at getting that MX-350 to work with a simpler setup.

I liked Harmony Remotes because they look and feel like remotes. I don't like remotes that requires you to look down. All Palm Pilot/Laptop/Tablet looking remotes are all waste of money and pain to use.

Hope fully they will still focus on making Remote Looking Remotes.

NO Hard button DVR controls. Very Disappointed!

Only way I'll be interested be it will need to support WLAN that talk to your AP and get interective RealTime Guide so you can browse the guide without using the TV. Also must beable to program via network. Even better if programmer can tweak it over the internet.

Last edited:
Digital Dude said:
Here's a pic Ilya took of me playing "Fat Vanna Wjite" holding the new Harmony.

As you can see it fits in the palm of your hand.

You played Vanna White very well at the prize giveaway at the party too! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts