Request for new WIRING.

IBID

Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
S-East
I am getting Dish-net installed and I would like to know if I can request that they install a totally new separate wiring for it, and not to hook up into the Cable wiring already in place?
I want new wiring because the one I have is 25yrs old, and had some problems with it..
I have Internet Cable and don't want it to be messed up.
I live in an area dubbed Lightening Capital of the world due to the number of strikes we get (Tampa Area) ; and I don't want everything fried all-together , if I get hit.

Yep you can. They'll probably do that anyway, especially if it's the old crappy RG-59 cable, which is what they used 25 years ago.

"Yep you can. They'll probably do that anyway, especially if it's the old crappy RG-59 cable, which is what they used 25 years ago."

Thanks... Who do I ask? The installer?
Another question:
Why do they ask if you have a land line phone and/or cable internet, if they do not intend to hook up to one or the other?

1.) Yep.

2.) Yep. Phone line can be used for making sure you're not account stacking and/or not in an area DISH doesn't service (avoids audit team,) and can be used to check/pay your bill. Broadband can be used to avoid the audit team as well, can't view/pay bill, however can access DISH Online.

1.) Yep.

2.) Yep. Phone line can be used for making sure you're not account stacking and/or not in an area DISH doesn't service (avoids audit team,) and can be used to check/pay your bill. Broadband can be used to avoid the audit team as well, can't view/pay bill, however can access DISH Online.

There is no such thing as an area Dish does not service.

I am getting Dish-net installed and I would like to know if I can request that they install a totally new separate wiring for it, and not to hook up into the Cable wiring already in place?
I want new wiring because the one I have is 25yrs old, and had some problems with it..
I have Internet Cable and don't want it to be messed up.
I live in an area dubbed Lightening Capital of the world due to the number of strikes we get (Tampa Area) ; and I don't want everything fried all-together , if I get hit.

You can ,when you set up appointment,request new cable be installed . Make sure that any external penatrations into tour house for the purpose of running the new cable are sealed and that cable is grounded to the house ground for static purposes .Nothing can stop lightning so it is a good idea to disconnect your equipment when lightning is near,but you problably aready know that.

I wouldn't expect the tech to wallfish your lines for you. Drilling through the floor or side is what would most likely be done. If you want it wallfished, call an electrician. However running new lines is common practice. The 59 lines will work fine for tv2s.

I wouldn't expect the tech to wallfish your lines for you. Drilling through the floor or side is what would most likely be done. If you want it wallfished, call an electrician. However running new lines is common practice. The 59 lines will work fine for tv2s.

Nice to know!
I will be calling Dish Net, and If he doesn't wallfish the lines and properly ground the outside dish, I will cancel the deal and installation... I don't need it that bad!

Or if I have to deal directly with the installer, and he doesn't do it my way... I will simply not let him install anything and/or sign anything/ give him a check!

Last edited:
Nice to know!
I will be calling Dish Net, and If he doesn't wallfish the lines and properly ground the outside dish, I will cancel the deal and installation... I don't need it that bad!

Or if I have to deal directly with the installer, and he doesn't do it my way... I will simply not let him install anything and/or sign anything/ give him a check!

Might as well cancel now, because no one will wall fish for free. Dish CSR may tell you they will, but they wont.

Liquidforce88 said:
Might as well cancel now, because no one will wall fish for free. Dish CSR may tell you they will, but they wont.

I agree, cancel. People think they can forego paying an electrician $50-$100 per run, and have someone run lines for $15 an hour. From my perspective, it's not worth my time, I've got other jobs to get to as well.
CSR will tell you we can do it, but it's at our discretion. Being compensated for work seems to be a thing of the past for custom installs.
Grounding is simple. If you don't see a green line running off a ground block, ask the tech. Good luck.

You need to get paid appropriately, but that is an issue between the tech and Dish. A customer should expect a professional installation and if Dish can't do it then the customer should walk.

With the UVerse install I just had done I told the installer up front I did not want any of the existing cable cannibalized because I wasn't sure about keeping the TV component of UVerse and wanted to compare side by side for a while. The answer was a genuine "no problem." The guy had to run new cable, drill new holes, fish the cables from the attic down into bedroom walls , install new wall plates, etc. The result was a first class job with no shortcuts - at least as good as if I had done it myself. I almost feel guilty now that I am not going to keep the UVerse TV, but the Dish quality is much better.

Contrast that with my last Dish install where I had to really argue with the guy to fish the cable 7 feet down an obviously hollow and uninsulated wall in my basement rec room. It took him maybe 10 minutes once he actually started the drop. He had wanted to use an existing cable drop on another wall which may have worked for the prior homeowner but was completely useless for me. If there had been a firestop or lateral brace to drill through I could see the reluctance, but the guy didn't even attempt checking with a fish pole or studfinder before claiming he couldn't do it. I ultimately won out, but only because I was ready and willing to walk. He had installed the Dish already (and yes - I showed him exactly where I wanted the drop before he started anything, but I guess he thought he could get by).

Installing Cable

I agree, cancel. People think they can forego paying an electrician $50-$100 per run, and have someone run lines for $15 an hour. From my perspective, it's not worth my time, I've got other jobs to get to as well.
CSR will tell you we can do it, but it's at our discretion. Being compensated for work seems to be a thing of the past for custom installs.
Grounding is simple. If you don't see a green line running off a ground block, ask the tech. Good luck.

I don't think one needs the skills of an electrician to run cables!
Installing cables for a Cable co or a Dish Tv is learned in a matter of days, and does not require the same training as an electrician.
$15 an hour is more than what the majority of unskilled labor get... and if the Cable/Dish co find it difficult to hire people to do that job... they would definitely pay more, which is not the case to my knowledge.... because people are applying "a dime a dozen", for jobs that pay $12-15 an hour...
$60-$75 per install is nothing to look down on... Dish TV expect its installers to spend 4-5 Hrs for each job (or at least that is what they pay the installer for!).

I will wall fish if its easy and not if it is a outside wall. Now you have said you have had problems with this cable but your ready to walk makes no sense to me. It doesnt matter who you go with nobody in this industury wants to do a wall fish. The possiablitiy of damage is too great and we dont do enough to be really good at. So good luck but if I were you I would rethink and give the guy a break.

Sorry to be mean but it takes more a couple of days to learn how to install cable or Dishes. I am a Level 4 tech that lost a manageer job due to the economy and its as easy as some think. If I were you and this is how you feel cancel now and dont waste our time

Ok. So if it's that easy, why didn't you fish the line prior to the tech arriving? And no, 4-5 hours for an install is typically unacceptable. I'm not complaining about my job, nor what I make. I'm just telling you what typically happens.

There are some specialized tools that make fishing wires easier (magnets, small chains, fiberglass rods, flexible drill bits) You can use craigslist or a local wiring supplier to try and locate a low voltage wiring installer. No electrician necessary. Figure around $250-$300 to get someone out to your house and do the work, more for materials.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts