Required phone or ethernet?

prt328

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 4, 2009
Nomad
I just added 2 more receivers to my account (5 receivers/5 tuners total) and the CSR informed be that, because I have 5 receivers, I needed a phone line. My question is - do I just need one phone line to one receiver to keep the audit team away or doe each receiver require a phone line. The second would be unacceptable. Same question applies to internet connection.

If I only need one phone line to my "primary?" receiver and not the others I am not sure how DN knows I have other receivers there? Is there some "secret" network the plant in my home or do they just figure it out through the switches?

they could care less how many rx's you have. they are only worried about getting you connected cuz it helps them monitor signal strength and such. im sure they also get some sort of an incentive by having them plugged in. The rule has always been that if its a duo tuner it needs to be connected.

they could care less how many rx's you have.

Wanna bet? When you get beyond the allowed number of leased receivers, they will look at you twice. They tend to play dumb about lease vs. owned.

Last edited:
You will need to have all of the receivers connected to the phoneline or you can expect getting calls from the audit department.

do a search on audit nazi and you will find plenty to read about to give you a clue as to why you do not want those calls.

If you have too many issues with audit team then just switch to cable or Directv if you get tired of getting harrassed or finally get your additional receivers shut off permanently becoming deadweights, sometimes even if you passed an audit. With Dish Network, you are GUILTY until proven innocent.

If the boxes are in your home then don't worry about it. Dish is being stupid with this requirement of either a phone or ethernet connections to pick up on connectivity. Most people don't even have either one which is really a pain in the butt for installers as they are stealing money from the techs if they don't...yeah lame i know. I wouldn't hook a single one up and tell them exactly why you won't cause you don't have to! :up

You will need to have all of the receivers connected to the phoneline or you can expect getting calls from the audit department.

do a search on audit nazi and you will find plenty to read about to give you a clue as to why you do not want those calls.
I have 4 receivers and never had them hooked up to the phone and never gotten a call.