Reset DSX-5500 ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I can't remember if it has a front panel button combo rest procedure like simultaneous MENU/DOWN or MENU/RIGHT, I an still looking, but have you tried unplugging it for 15 minutes or so?

Last edited:
I can't remember if it has a front panel button combo rest procedure like simultaneous MENU/DOWN or MENU/RIGHT, I an still looking, but have you tried unplugging it for 15 minutes or so?

I tried unplugging it. I have reset it before, I just can't remember how or where I found out how. Thanks

The only reset for the DSX5500 is to unplug the power cord for 15 seconds. There is no "soft boot" option.

No wonder I never could find the info, thanks.. I was assuming that all the old boxes had the soft boot option built-in.

Nope, the Philips and some RCAs (notably the DRD435) never did.

This is how you perform a factory reset on the DSX5500c:

1. Hold down the 'menu', 'up' & 'down' buttons simultaneously for 5 seconds.

2. After the box finishes 'refreshing' (may take 10+ seconds or so) you will see a screen titled "Auto Diagnostic" with a bunch of other selections.

3. Using the remote, hit 'sat', '5', '5', '5' then 'OK'.

4. You won't see anything on the screen- if the code takes you will see something to the effect of 'Press [some button] for Rom? [something like that, my notes are vague] erasing"

5. Press the button it tells you to.

6. The screen will reset back to the original menu with the selections. There should be an 'OK' next to the 4th or 5th selection now.

7. Press the 'menu' button and the box will restart with all the factory settings "reset".

8. Go through the guided setup wizards like normal {English or Spanish, Dish Type etc.}.

BTW, if I recall correctly, the DRD435 does have a 'restart' feature as well. It was either 'info' and 'left', or the 'up' and 'down' buttons pressed at the same time.

There's only a few boxes that do not have a diagnostic screen/advanced setup screen: any model of DirecTivo, and the H20-100.

Hope that helps.

I'm not talking about getting into diagnostic screens or resetting the box to factory presets but how to do a simple reset (or soft boot) without unplugging the power cord. I believe that's what the OP wanted to know, too.

I used to have a Philips DSX 5500. It locked up all the time. I figured out that you can press and hold the power button for several seconds and it will reboot without having to unplug the cord.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)